Roasted broccoli is so tasty with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and Parmesan. Simply roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes – it’s easy!
Delicious roasted broccoli gets caramelized as it roasts in a hot, 400 degrees F oven. A little olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan and red pepper flakes turn it into a savory, crunchy treat.
But roasted broccoli is the best. Roasting vegetables always gives them that extra something, makes them more interesting and appealing.
One of my kids is notorious for being a very picky eater. As you can imagine, broccoli is NOT on her list of favorite foods. As you can also imagine, I very much want her to eat broccoli due its health benefits! Luckily, when I make roasted broccoli, she’s much more open to eating it. Broccoli simply tastes better when roasted!
How long does it take to roast broccoli?
It’s very easy to roast broccoli. The oven basically does all the work for you, especially if you buy one of those bags of pre-washed, pre-cut broccoli. Simply roast the broccoli in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes, stirring midway through roasting.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
I prefer to use fresh broccoli in this recipe. I find that frozen broccoli doesn’t crisp up as well, even if I partially defrost it before roasting. For the same reason, it’s important to make sure that the broccoli florets are completely dry before you roast them. That’s why I like to sue pre-washed broccoli in this recipe.
What about leftovers?
As for leftovers, they keep reasonably well for 1-2 days in the fridge. But this is definitely one of those dishes that are best eaten fresh out of the oven. Sometimes I use leftover roasted broccoli in an omelet the next day. That’s actually very good.
Can I use the broccoli stalks?
Yes! There’s no need to discard the broccoli stalks when making roasted broccoli. Roasted broccoli stalks are delicious. Simply peel them, cut into pieces, and roast on a separate baking sheet – they need to roast for slightly longer at 400 degrees F – about 30 minutes, stirring midway through roasting.
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli, separated into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to toss the broccoli with the olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Transfer the coated broccoli to the prepared baking sheet, spreading it in a single layer. Roast 10 minutes.
- Stir the broccoli, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and roast 10 more minutes, until the broccoli is just tender and caramelized in spots.