Baked chicken meatballs are so easy to make in your oven. Flavored with garlic and parmesan, they have a nice soft texture and a great flavor.
My mother in law introduced me to these tasty meatballs. With the exception of turkey meatballs, I almost always make mine with beef (these spicy meatballs are wonderful). But when I tasted her recipe, I was hooked!
Admittedly, chicken meatballs are not as boldly flavored as beef ones. But they make up for that with their wonderfully tender and fluffy texture. And making them is as easy as can be – simply pop them in your oven and bake.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these tasty meatballs. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Ground chicken: I highly recommend using ground chicken thighs and not chicken breast. Chicken breast is too dry.
Parmesan and almond flour: Both of these ingredients help keep the juices inside the chicken meatballs while they bake (similar to if you had used breadcrumbs). The parmesan also adds wonderful flavor. Oh, and you should definitely use grated parmesan and not shredded parmesan in this recipe. There’s a difference.
Egg and mayonnaise: These ingredients add creaminess to the meatballs and help prevent them from becoming too dry as they bake.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
Spices: I like to use garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and thyme. You can use other spices if you’d like – see the discussion below about substitutions.
How to make chicken meatballs
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Mix the ingredients and form the mixture into 30 meatballs. The mixture will be fairly sticky, so it’s helpful to use moistened hands when forming the meatballs. I use a measuring tablespoon to ensure they are about the same size.
2. Bake the meatballs in a 400°F oven for 15 minutes, then turn them and bake for 5 more minutes to brown the other side.
That’s it! I told you this was an easy recipe.
Here are a few ideas for you to try if you’re feeling adventurous:
- You can replace the mayonnaise with Dijon mustard. I love this creamy French mustard and think it will add great flavor to these meatballs.
- Use a tablespoon of minced garlic instead of garlic powder. I tend to sue the powder because that’s what I always have on hand.
- Add 1/4 cup of minced fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro.
- Use smoked paprika or chili powder instead of the paprika.
What to serve with baked chicken meatballs
Sometimes I serve them as a party appetizer, and then I serve them with a dipping sauce (as shown in the pictures). Simply mix 1/2 cup of sour cream with 1 tablespoon of hot pepper sauce and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
What to do with the leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. They actually keep well and taste great as leftovers. Gently reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Baked Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground chicken thighs 93% lean
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan (not shredded)
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix together all the ingredients. The mixture will be sticky, but this ensures tender meatballs.
- With moist hands, form the mixture into 30 meatballs. You can use a measuring tablespoon to portion them out, as shown in the video.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, not touching each other. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn each of them to the other side and bake for 5 more minutes to brown the second side. Serve immediately.