If you’re not a fan of mayonnaise and celery in your chicken salad, try this olive oil chicken salad instead. It’s healthy and delicious.
I really like classic chicken salad. I like the creamy mayonnaise-based sauce, the crunch from the celery. But not everyone likes the classic recipe. And if you’re one of them, or just feel like trying something new, this healthy olive oil chicken salad is perfect for you.
How to make olive oil chicken salad
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The medley of textures and flavors in this delicious salad is exquisite. Instead of mayonnaise, the dressing is based on olive oil and red wine vinegar. With capers, olives and fresh herbs, this is a unique, fresh tasting chicken salad.
I also love the way macerating the red onions in vinegar takes the edge off, just enough that they’re not unpleasantly sharp.
How to serve olive oil chicken salad
Served on a bed of shredded lettuce, this tasty salad is the perfect lunch. But sometimes, on hot summer nights when I don’t feel like cooking, I serve it for dinner. No one complains!
Since it’s a full meal, there’s really no need to serve it with anything on the side. But if you wish, you can serve it with some toasted and buttered almond flour bread. You can also stuff the salad in lettuce wraps.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it’s very healthy. Chicken meat is nutritious. And olive oil has many health benefits and is likely a much better choice than commercial mayonnaise. Take a look at the nutrition info for a serving of this salad (calculated on recipes.sparkpeople.com). I think it’s quite impressive!
What about leftovers?
With the exception of the lettuce, you can keep leftovers of this olive oil chicken salad in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days.
More tasty chicken salads
Olive Oil Chicken Salad
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced (3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, 8 oz each
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (2 oz)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray it with olive oil spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the minced red onion with the vinegar. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray them with olive oil spray. Bake until juicily cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: in a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, capers, olives, and oregano.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer it to a cutting board and allow to slightly cool, about 5 minutes. Add the red onions and the vinegar to the dressing. Cube the chicken.
- Add the cubed chicken and the cilantro to the dressing. Toss gently to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled, on a bed of shredded lettuce.