Deliciously big, substantial and filling chorizo omelette will keep you full for many hours. Serve it with veggies or berries to balance out its richness.
Chorizo omelette is, one of my favorite egg dishes to make. The combination of caramelized onions, spicy meat and sharp cheddar is incredible.
This omelet is not a small, dainty one (unlike this fluffy egg white omelet which is also excellent, but in a very different way). It’s a big, substantial, very satisfying egg dish that will keep you full for several hours.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty egg dish. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
- Olive oil: This is a delicious and healthy oil. But if you’re unsure about cooking with it, you can use avocado oil instead
- Sliced onions.
- Spicy Spanish chorizo: Thinly sliced. If you’re not a fan of processed meats, you can replace it with more vegetables.
- Cheddar: I like extra-sharp cheddar. It’s so flavorful!
How to make a chorizo omelette
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Beat the eggs with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the onions in olive oil.
- Add the chorizo and cook it briefly.
- Pour the eggs on top and gently stir.
- Let the bottom set, and gently lift the edges to allow liquid eggs to go to the bottom and cook faster.
- Carefully flip the omelet. Top with the cheddar, fold, and serve.
How do you flip an omelet?
You can use two wide spatulas to flip it, although admittedly that sometimes leads to the omelette falling apart.
Here’s what I usually do. I slide the omelet, cooked side down, onto a large plate. I then place the skillet on top of that plate, facing down, and allow the omelet to slide back into the skillet, uncooked side down.
A third option is to not flip it at all. When the bottom is almost cooked, reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and keep cooking on very low heat until the top is set.
How to serve chorizo omelette?
If you follow a low carb or keto diet, there’s no need to serve it with toast! Sliced tomato or some berries are perfect and will balance out the richness of the dish.
And if you want a super-rich breakfast, you can top the omelet with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced onions (3oz)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced spicy Spanish chorizo* (1 oz)
- 1 slice extra sharp cheddar (1 oz)
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5-7 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 more minutes.
- Pour the eggs on top and gently stir, using a heat-resistant spatula, to distribute onions and chorizo evenly. Cook 2-3 minutes, until bottom is starting to set. Gently lift omelet and allow uncooked egg from the top to slide under, where it will cook faster.
- When bottom is set, use two wide spatulas to flip the omelet. Or slide it, cooked side down, onto a large plate, then place the skillet on top of the plate, facing down, and allow the omelet to slide back into the skillet, uncooked side down.
- Cook 1-2 more minutes on the second side. Place the cheddar on half of the omelet and fold. Turn off the heat and allow the cheese to melt from the residual heat, then slide the chorizo omelette onto a plate and serve.