Deliciously big, substantial and filling chorizo omelette will keep you full for many hours. Serve it with veggies or berries to balance out its richness.
Chorizo omelette is, by far, my favorite omelet to make. The combination of caramelized onions, spicy chorizo and sharp cheddar is incredible.
This chorizo omelet is not a small, dainty omelette (unlike this fluffy egg white omelet which is also excellent, but in a very different way). It’s a big, substantial, very satisfying omelet that will keep you full for several hours.
But is chorizo omelette healthy?
Obviously, this omelet is high in fat. So if you’re on a low fat diet, it’s not the best choice for you. But for anyone on a low carb or keto diet, it’s an excellent choice. Especially when balanced out with some vegetables on the side.
How do you flip an omelet?
You can use two wide spatulas to flip it, although that often leads to the omelette falling apart.
Here’s what I usually do. I slide the chorizo omelet, cooked side down, onto a large plate. I then place the skillet on top of that plate, facing down, and allow the omelet to slide back into the skillet, uncooked side down.
A third option is to not flip the omelet at all. When the bottom is almost cooked, reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and keep cooking the omelet on very low heat until the top is set.
How to serve chorizo omelette?
If you follow a low carb or keto diet, there’s no need to serve this chorizo omelet with toast! A sliced tomato or some berries are perfect and will balance out the richness of the omelet. And if you want a super rich breakfast, you can top the omelet with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced onions (3oz)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced spicy Spanish chorizo* (1 oz)
- 1 slice extra sharp cheddar (1 oz)
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5-7 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 more minutes.
- Pour the eggs on top and gently stir, using a heat-resistant spatula, to distribute onions and chorizo evenly. Cook 2-3 minutes, until bottom is starting to set. Gently lift omelet and allow uncooked egg from the top to slide under, where it will cook faster.
- When bottom is set, use two wide spatulas to flip the omelet. Or slide it, cooked side down, onto a large plate, then place the skillet on top of the plate, facing down, and allow the omelet to slide back into the skillet, uncooked side down.
- Cook 1-2 more minutes on the second side. Place the cheddar on half of the omelet and fold. Turn off the heat and allow the cheese to melt from the residual heat, then slide the chorizo omelette onto a plate and serve.