This baked buffalo wings recipe is so easy. And the wings come out crispy and delicious. There’s no need for flour, so they’re also keto and gluten-free.
My entire family loves these delicious hot wings! So I make them often, because I love them too, and because they are very easy to make.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this baked buffalo wings recipe. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Fresh chicken wings
- Avocado oil spray
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Spices: garlic powder, paprika, and dried thyme
- For the Buffalo sauce: Melted butter and hot pepper sauce
How to make hot wings?
It’s easy! The best part of this recipe is that it’s baked rather than fried. It’s so much easier to bake chicken wings than to deep fry them, and they come out perfect – crispy, well seasoned and just so delicious.
The detailed instructions for making this recipe are included in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Your first step is to season the wings, spray them with oil, and bake until crispy, about 30 minutes at 400°F.
- While they’re in the oven, mix the butter and hot sauce.
- Dip the baked wings in the sauce, bake 10 more minutes, and serve.
This baked buffalo wings recipe is very forgiving. You can bake the wings a little longer if you’d like to crisp them up some more.
You can also make the sauce as hot or as mild as you’d like. The pepper sauce I use is truly hot, so I use a butter to hot sauce ratio of 2:1 rather than the traditional 1:1.
But it’s really up to you, so experiment a little and find what works for you.
Why are they called buffalo wings?
Apparently, they were invented in 1964 at a family-owned restaurant in Buffalo, N.Y. called the Anchor Bar.
The wings were the idea of Teressa Bellissimo, who covered them in her own special sauce and served them with a side of blue cheese dressing and celery because that’s what she had available.
So just like so many other great culinary masterpieces, hot wings were born out of necessity!
How to serve them?
You can serve them just like Teressa Bellissimo did, with fresh celery and blue cheese (or ranch) dressing.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I don’t coat my baked buffalo wings in batter or flour, and I don’t fry them. This is not just to keep them keto, gluten-free and healthy, but also out of sheer laziness! Deep-frying is no fun.
What to do with leftovers of these baked buffalo wings?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
More recipes that you might like
If you like chicken wings, you should also try these amazing, super crispy Parmesan wings!
- 3 lb. split chicken wings, tips removed
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil and fit the baking sheets with wire racks.
- Cut the tips off the chicken wings, and separate the drumettes and the flats (here’s a good video that shows how to do that).
- Arrange the chicken wings on the prepared baking sheets. Spray with oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and thyme.
- Bake until the skin is browned and crispy, about 30 minutes.
- Five minutes before wings are ready, prepare the Buffalo sauce: gently melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl; Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- Using tongs, toss the baked chicken wings in the Buffalo sauce. Bake 10 more minutes, then serve.