Baked buffalo wings are easy to make in the oven. They come out crispy and delicious, and there’s no need for flour, so they’re low carb and gluten free.
Baked buffalo wings are crispy and very flavorful. It’s a very easy recipe – spray with oil, sprinkle with seasonings, then bake. Toss in buffalo sauce and bake just a little longer.
How to make buffalo wings?
Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. It’s such an easy recipe! I don’t coat my baked buffalo wings in batter or flour, and I don’t fry them. This is not just to keep them low carb, gluten free and healthy, but also out of sheer laziness. It’s much easier to bake chicken wings than to deep fry them, and they come out perfect – crispy, well seasoned and just so delicious.
This baked buffalo wings recipe is also very forgiving. You can bake the wings a little longer if you’d like to crisp them up some more. You can make the sauce as hot or as mild as you’d like – the pepper sauce I use is truly hot, so I use butter to hot sauce ratio of 2:1 rather than the traditional 1:1. But it’s really up to you, so experiment a little and find what works for you.
Why are they called buffalo wings?
Buffalo wings were invented in 1964 at a family-owned restaurant in Buffalo N.Y. called the Anchor Bar. The wings were the idea of Teressa Bellissimo, who covered them in her own special sauce and served them with a side of blue cheese dressing and celery because that’s what she had available. So just like so many other great culinary masterpieces, buffalo wings were born out of necessity!
How to serve baked buffalo wings?
You can serve them just like Teressa Bellissimo did, with fresh celery and blue cheese (or ranch) dressing. I sometimes make them for dinner as a main course, and then I serve them with any side dish I would normally make, such as steamed broccoli or jicama fries.
Is this a healthy recipe?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover baked buffalo wings in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
More recipes that you might like
If you like chicken wings, you should also try these amazing, super crispy Parmesan wings! And when I don’t have wings, I sometimes make buffalo chicken instead. Oh, and for a plant-based buffalo recipe, try this amazing buffalo cauliflower!
- 3 lb. split chicken wings, tips removed
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil and fit the baking sheets with wire racks.
- Cut the tips off the chicken wings, and separate the drumettes and the flats (here’s a good video that shows how to do that).
- Arrange the chicken wings on the prepared baking sheets. Spray with oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and thyme.
- Bake until the skin is browned and crispy, about 30 minutes.
- Five minutes before wings are ready, prepare the Buffalo sauce: gently melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl; Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- Using tongs, toss the baked chicken wings in the Buffalo sauce. Bake 10 more minutes, then serve.