These baked buffalo wings are so easy to make, and they come out of the oven hot, crispy and delicious. They are perfect with a blue cheese dip and some crisp celery sticks!
My entire family loves these delicious hot wings! So I make them often, because I really enjoy them too, and also because they are very easy to make (what can I say, I'm a lazy cook).
The idea is simple: first, you bake the wings in the oven, then you dip them in a hot buttery sauce. Simple and delicious!
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this baked buffalo wings recipe. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Fresh chicken wings: I buy the trays labeled as "party wings" where the whole wings are already separated into flats and drumettes.
Avocado oil spray: Avocado oil is a neutral-tasting oil with a high smoke point, making it very suitable for high-heat cooking and baking.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: I use a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Make sure the spices you use are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
For the Buffalo sauce: Melted butter and your favorite hot pepper sauce.
How to make hot wings?
It's easy! The best part of this recipe is that it's baked rather than fried. It’s so much easier to bake chicken wings than to deep-fry them, and they come out perfect - crispy, well seasoned and just so delicious.
The detailed instructions for making these baked buffalo wings are included in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to season the wings, spray them with oil, and bake until fully cooked, about 30 minutes at 400°F.
2. Now lower the oven to the "keep warm" setting (170°F) and keep the wings in the oven for 30 more minutes. This step will help crisp up the skin.
3. Ten minutes before pulling the wings out of the oven, mix the melted butter and the hot sauce.
4. Dip the baked wings in the sauce. I use tongs and dip them one by one, as you can see in the video below.
Why are they called buffalo wings?
Apparently, they were invented in 1964 at a family-owned restaurant in Buffalo, N.Y. called the Anchor Bar.
The wings were the idea of Teressa Bellissimo, who covered them in her own special sauce and served them with a side of blue cheese dressing and celery because that’s what she had available.
So just like so many other great culinary masterpieces, hot wings were born out of necessity!
How to serve them?
What to do with leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
More recipes that you might like
If you like chicken wings, you should also try these amazing, super crispy Parmesan wings!
And when I don't have wings, I sometimes make buffalo drumsticks or buffalo chicken lettuce wraps instead. Oh, and for a plant-based buffalo recipe, try this amazing buffalo cauliflower. It's really good.
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 3 lb. split chicken wings tips removed
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the chicken wings on the prepared baking sheet. Spray them with oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Then give them another quick spray of oil.
- Bake the wings until the skin is browned and crispy, about 30 minutes. Lower the oven to "keep warm" (170 degrees F) and keep the wings in the oven for 30 more minutes, to crisp up the skin.
- Ten minutes before the wings are ready, prepare the Buffalo sauce: gently melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- Using tongs, toss the wings in the Buffalo sauce. Serve immediately, with (if desired) blue cheese dip and celery sticks.