Roasted bell peppers are seasoned with olive oil, garlic, oregano, and crushed red peppers. Roasting really brings out their unique flavor. Delicious!
Look at these gorgeous, colorful peppers! They are as flavorful as they are pretty. Plus, they are so easy to make. They’re one of the easiest vegetable recipes on this blog, and leftovers are great too – which is why I make them quite often for my family.
I love raw peppers. It’s one of my favorite snacks! I slice them thinly and sprinkle them with sea salt and oregano. Or I dip them in Geek yogurt dip. But as much as I love them raw, I find that they are even better when roasted. Oven baking really brings out their unique flavor.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these roasted bell peppers. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Bell peppers: Red, orange, green or yellow (whatever color combination you want). I like to use several different colors – it makes for a pretty presentation, as you can see in the photos.
Olive oil: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead. It has a higher smoke point.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: I like to use garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes. Make sure the spices you use are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
How to roast bell peppers
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to cut the peppers into quarters, then remove the seeds and membranes.
2. Now, arrange them in a single layer on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
3. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with spices. You can also spray them with olive oil spray if that’s more convenient.
4. Bake until tender, about 20 minutes at 450F. That’s it! See? I told you this was an easy recipe!
How to serve roasted peppers
They make a wonderful side dish to meat, poultry or fish. As mentioned above, I make this dish often, because it’s so easy to make, and because I almost always have bell peppers in the fridge. They keep well and don’t spoil as easily as other produce.
I often serve them with baked chicken breast, because they both require the same oven temperature and the same roasting time. Can you say EASY? It’s the perfect weeknight meal!
And another easy and tasty option is to serve them with these flavorful oven chicken kabobs.
What about leftovers?
Ah, that’s the best part! These tasty peppers keep really well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
Or do as I do and eat them cold the next day for lunch, with cold cuts, cheese, and hard-boiled eggs. They make a great antipasti plate!
I never tried freezing roasted peppers, so I can’t tell you if that would work or not.
More bell pepper recipes that you might enjoy
Stuffed peppers are amazing. They’re somewhat labor-intensive, but they are very much worth it. And a much easier dish that I like to make for breakfast are these breakfast-stuffed peppers that I fill with eggs and sausage, then bake.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Roasted Bell Peppers
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bell peppers into quarters, then seed and trim them.
- Place the bell peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and use your hands to coat them well.
- Sprinkle the bell peppers with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Roast until tender and charred in spots, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.