Green beans are roasted in olive oil until just tender, then seasoned with garlic, red pepper flakes, and Parmesan. Healthy, easy and delicious!
These roasted green beans are one of my favorite ways to prepare this healthy vegetable.
Although I must admit that my truly favorite way to make them is to simply boil green beans, then dress with kosher salt and butter (sometimes the simplest recipe are the best!)
But oven baking does have its advantages, and I love the way it makes vegetables crispy and delicious, especially when roasted in tasty olive oil with lots of garlic.
But green beans are not paleo?
I love green beans and have quite a few green beans recipes on this blog. When the paleo movement started, some people were saying that green beans should be avoided, since they are technically legumes. I was like “No way! Green beans stay.”
I believe that some paleo advocates feel that green beans are actually fine since they don’t contain the high level of lectins that mature beans contain.
Regardless, I am not following a strict paleo diet (though I do like the general guidelines), so I’m fine with eating this vegetable.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish (exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Fresh green beans
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Minced garlic
- Grated Parmesan
How to make roasted green beans
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. Here are the basic steps:
- I roast fresh green beans in olive oil until just tender.
- Then, I season them with garlic, red pepper flakes, and Parmesan. That’s it!
What goes with roasted green beans?
Anything, really. Since I make them in a 450°F oven, I like to serve a main dish that I can cook in the same oven. So I often serve them with one of the following:
What about leftovers?
I almost never have any when I make this recipe. But when I do, I have found that they keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
I actually like to eat the leftovers cold, like you would eat antipasti. You can also gently reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Roasted Green Beans
- 1 lb. fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Spread the coated green beans in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and toss with the red pepper flakes, garlic and Parmesan. Serve immediately.