A simple one-dish meal, this healthy chicken casserole is easy to assemble and practically bakes itself. It’s the ultimate weeknight dinner!
This chicken casserole is healthy, filling, and so easy to make. I love the combination of chicken, olive oil, tomatoes and onions. It’s delicious. And the cheese is an added bonus – so flavorful.
Casseroles are the perfect weeknight dinner!
I love casseroles, because they make my life easy. You throw a few ingredients into the casserole dish, bake, and voila – dinner is ready! Plus they are tasty, and everyone loves them – kids and adults.
How do you make homemade chicken casserole?
This chicken casserole is the ultimate weeknight dinner – healthy, easy, quick and filling. It also has the added advantage of turning boring chicken breasts into something a bit more exciting.
Scroll down for the full recipe. But basically you bake the chicken in a quick homemade tomato sauce. Then top with cheese and broil until the cheese is melted.
Is this chicken casserole healthy?
How to serve chicken casserole?
With chicken, tomatoes and onions, this is a complete meal. So you don’t really need to serve it with sides. Having said that, I often add a green vegetable, such as steamed broccoli or spicy green beans, to round out the meal.
More chicken recipes you might enjoy
What about leftovers?
If you have any leftovers of this chicken casserole, you can keep them in the fridge for about 3 days. Gently reheat them, covered, in the microwave on 50% power, to avoid drying out the chicken.
- Olive oil spray
- 1.5 lb. fresh tomatoes, cubed into large cubes
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped (8 oz)
- 1/2 cup (packed) chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 8 oz each
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with olive oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes, onion, garlic, the basil (reserving 2 tablespoons for topping), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Brush the chicken breasts on both sides with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper and the oregano. Nestle among the tomatoes.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- Switch oven to broil, set on high. Leave the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Sprinkle the chicken with the cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining basil and serve.