Delicious crustless broccoli quiche makes a quick meatless dinner and is perfect for lunch. Tasty, filling, low carb and gluten-free!
I adore this tasty quiche. It’s crustless, keto and low carb. It’s VERY easy to make, which makes it perfect for weeknight dinners. And most importantly, it’s delicious!
It is one of my favorite options for meatless dinners, and it’s also great as a filling lunch. Oh, and leftovers make an excellent low carb breakfast!
Who needs a crust!
Crustless quiches make a great alternative to traditional ones. You get all the flavor and nutrition of the filling without the extra calories, grains, and carbs from the crust. Even gluten-free crusts are often high in carbs, so I prefer to avoid them.
The ingredients you’ll need
The ingredients list for this recipe is short, and it’s very possible that you already have the ingredients on hand! Take a look (the exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
Broccoli: I use frozen chopped broccoli for convenience.
Eggs: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Sour cream: Plain full-fat Greek yogurt is an acceptable alternative, but sour cream tastes better.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the quiche could end up too salty.
Garlic powder: You can use fresh minced garlic instead.
Scallions: I use the green parts only.
Shredded cheddar: Or experiment with other melty cheese such as provolone.
How to make crustless broccoli quiche
This is one of my easiest recipes, which is why I make it so often. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
Start by defrosting the broccoli in the microwave.
Then simply mix everything together in a large bowl.
Pour the mixture into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
Bake for about 30 minutes at 400°F.
What vegetables can you put in a crustless quiche?
I like to use broccoli because it’s tasty and nutritious. But I imagine that chopped cauliflower would work as well. A very similar quiche that I also make quite often is this spinach quiche. It’s excellent.
I use frozen chopped broccoli in this recipe because it’s so convenient. But obviously, you can use fresh broccoli if you prefer and chop it yourself after cooking it.
My original recipe had no onions in it. But based on several Pinterest reviews, I added chopped scallions, and it’s really good. Many thanks to the reviewers for this excellent suggestion!
Reviews of this recipe
I love visiting Pinterest and seeing readers’ comments on this recipe. It’s wonderful to see the many variations that people come up with.
As I mentioned above, one very good suggestion was to add onions to the mix. Other suggestions include:
- Substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream
- Using fresh broccoli
- Adding extra veggies (such as grated carrots or spinach)
- Using a variety of cheeses
- Adding meats such as shredded cooked chicken, ham or crumbled bacon
How to keep leftovers
Since we never have any leftovers when I make this yummy crustless broccoli quiche, I often bake two of them, just to ensure I have leftovers the next day for lunch!
You can also double the recipe, bake in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish, and cut into squares.
How to ensure the leftovers keep well and do not get all soggy on you? I let the quiche cool and slice it. Then I let the slices cool for 30 more minutes on a cooling rack.
I store the leftovers on a layer of paper towels in an airtight container in the fridge and replace the paper towels daily.
This way, they keep well for about 4 days. Once completely cool, you can also freeze individual slices in freezer bags.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Crustless Broccoli Quiche
- 1 tablespoon butter for pan
- 1 (16 oz package) frozen chopped broccoli
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or full-fat Greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter a 9-inch pie dish.
- Place the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring after the first 3 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, Kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stir in the broccoli, the scallions and the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie dish. Bake until golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Allow the quiche to cool and set in pan on a wire rack, about 15 minutes, before slicing into 8 triangles and serving.