Delicious crustless broccoli quiche makes a quick meatless dinner and is perfect as a healthy lunch. Tasty, filling, low carb and gluten free!
I adore this crustless broccoli quiche. It’s low carb, super easy to make, which makes it perfect for weeknight dinners, and it’s so delicious. It is one of my favorite options for meatless dinners, and it’s also great as a healthy lunch. Leftovers make an excellent low carb breakfast!
Crustless quiches are a great solution
Crustless quiches make a great alternative to traditional quiches, because you get all the flavor and nutrition of the filling without the extra calories, grains and carbs from the crust. Even gluten-free crusts are often high in carbs and not very healthy, so I prefer to avoid them.
What vegetables can you put in a quiche?
I like to make this crustless quiche with broccoli (it’s tasty and very healthy), but I imagine that chopped cauliflower would work as well. A very similar quiche that I also make quite often is this crustless spinach quiche. It’s excellent.
I use frozen chopped broccoli in this crustless broccoli quiche because it’s so convenient, but obviously you can use fresh broccoli if you prefer.
My original recipe had no onions in it. But based on several Pinterest reviews, I added chopped scallions to this crustless broccoli quiche, and it’s really good. Many thanks to the reviewers for this excellent suggestion.
How to keep leftovers
Since we never have any leftovers when I make this yummy crustless broccoli quiche, I sometimes bake two quiches, just to ensure I have leftovers the next day for lunch! You can also double the recipe, bake in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish, and cut into squares.
How to ensure the leftovers keep well and do not get all soggy on you? I let the crustless broccoli quiche cool and slice it. Then I let the slices cool for 30 more minutes on a cooling rack. I store them on a layer of paper towels in an airtight container in the fridge and replace the paper towels daily. This way, they keep well for about 4 days.
After completely cool, you can also freeze individual slices in freezer bags.
Crustless Broccoli Quiche
- 1 tablespoon butter for pan
- 1 (16 oz package) frozen chopped broccoli
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter a 9-inch pie dish.
- Place the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring after the first 3 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir in the broccoli, the scallions and the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie dish. Bake until golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Allow the quiche to cool and set in pan on a wire rack, about 15 minutes, before slicing into 8 triangles and serving.