An easy recipe for gluten free, low carb baked catfish. It’s so much easier than deep frying, and the result is healthy and delicious.
Healthy, gluten free baked catfish is crispy and well seasoned. It’s an easy recipe – much easier than frying: coat the catfish fillets, spray with oil, then bake in a hot oven for a crispy exterior and a tender interior. Healthy and delicious!
Whenever I visit the South, I enjoy lots of fried catfish. I love the fish’s delicate, white flesh.
Back home, I prefer to prepare baked catfish. It’s not just healthier, it’s also much easier for me as a cook to bake the fish than to deep fry it, or even pan fry it.
For the gluten free coating, I use almond meal, but you can use the same amount of breadcrumbs if you prefer. It’s best to use coarse almond meal and not fine blanched almond flour in this baked catfish recipe.
I buy my catfish fillets frozen at Whole Foods. As you can see in the video, the bag I got had two fillets – one of them thin, the other very thick. This is such a pet peeve of mine. How can they expect us to cook these very different fillets? I solved the problem by slicing the thick fillet into two thinner ones.
If you like well seasoned fish dishes, try this wonderful blackened halibut. It’s super flavorful!
- Avocado oil spray
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (6 oz) catfish fillets
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a roasting pan by lining the bottom with foil and spraying the roasting rack with oil.
- Mix together the almond meal and the spices in shallow dish (such as a square 8-inch baking dish).
- In another shallow dish, melt the butter.
- Dip each catfish fillet in the melted butter, then dedge in the almond meal mixture, pressing to make sure the coating adheres.
- Place the coated fish fillets on the prepared roasting rack.
- Spray the fillets with oil. Bake 15 minutes, until crisp and golden on the outside and tender and opaque inside. Serve immediately.