Deliciously cheesy broccoli casserole will convince even the most reluctant picky eaters that broccoli is in fact worth eating.
I dedicate this cheesy, delicious keto broccoli casserole to The Picky Eater. It’s pretty much the only way she’ll agree to eat broccoli. Just like cheesy cauliflower casserole convinces her to eat cauliflower! There’s something about cheesy casseroles. 😀
Alas, not everyone in my household agrees that broccoli is yummy, which is why I created this pizza-inspired broccoli casserole. It’s a very reliable way to serve broccoli to picky children, but it’s also loved by adults. I especially love how easy this broccoli casserole is to make – it’s ready in less than 30 minutes!
How do you make broccoli casserole?
Making broccoli casserole is SO EASY. You do want to pre cook the broccoli before placing it in the casserole dish. You can do this in the microwave. Next, mix it with the sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake for a few minutes until hot and bubbly. You can also broil the casserole, which is my preferred method. It gets the cheese browned fast, without overcooking the broccoli.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
You can use fresh of frozen broccoli in this broccoli casserole. So it’s one of those side dishes that you can always whip up, even if you’re out of fresh produce.
Is this broccoli casserole healthy?
I think it’s very healthy! Broccoli is of course a very healthy vegetable. The only other ingredients here are sugar free pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella. Both of them added in relatively small amounts.
If you’re concerned about pizza sauce being high in carbs, I use no sugar added pizza sauce and limit it to 1 cup for the entire casserole. So this cheesy broccoli casserole is still low carb. If the carb count is too high for you (5 grams net carbs per serving), try using less pizza sauce. Even just 1/2 cup will give this casserole a nice flavor.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover broccoli casserole in the fridge for about 3 days. Reheat it in a 250°F oven, or in the microwave on 50% power. I never tried freezing this casserole, but I think that should work too.
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup good pizza sauce (Such as Rao's)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided (4 oz )
- Place the broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and microwave until just-tender, 7 minutes for fresh broccoli and 9 minutes for frozen, stopping twice to stir.
- Drain the steamed broccoli. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix with the pizza sauce and half the cheese.
- Heat broiler on high and position a rack 6 inches below flame. Transfer the broccoli mixture to a broiler-safe 1.5-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Broil 3-5 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.