Delicious zucchini pizza bites make great use of large, firm zucchinis. Enjoy all the flavors of pizza using a tasty vegetable base!
After transitioning to a low-carb diet, I was mourning some of my favorite foods, including pizza. It took me a while to figure out that although the crust is no doubt delicious, what makes pizza so great is actually the things you put on top of it. 🍕
That’s why these zucchini pizza bites are so amazing. I just love that I can enjoy the best parts of pizza – the sauce, the cheese, and the toppings – but use a vegetable base.
How I came up with this recipe
The idea for this recipe came to me after I found some extra-large zucchinis at the farmer’s market. I was wondering what to do with them.
I grilled one of them just the way I usually grill eggplants, brushing it first with a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The balsamic grilled zucchini turned out wonderful.
And then it occurred to me that a large zucchini does resemble an eggplant, and since eggplant pizza is a big hit around here, I could try making a similar recipe using zucchini.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make these tasty pizza rounds. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Extra-large zucchini: Try to find firm zucchinis with smooth, dark green skins.
Olive oil spray: I love this delicious oil. But if you’re unsure about cooking with it, you can use avocado oil instead
To season the zucchini: Kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
Pizza sauce: Try to use a sugar-free sauce if you can. Rao’s is my favorite brand.
Shredded mozzarella: You can also use one of the bagged pre-shredded cheeses labeled as “Italian blend.” Provolone is good too.
Toppings: I like chorizo or pepperoni. If you’re not a fan of processed meats, you can use olives and diced red onions instead.
How to make zucchini pizza bites
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
Broil the zucchini. Your first step is to slice the zucchini, season the slices, then broil the slices to brown them.
Add pizza toppings and bake. Next, you top each zucchini slice with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni (I like to leave some of them plain), and return to the hot oven to melt the cheese.
How to serve zucchini pizza bites
They make a great appetizer or a delicious side dish. When I make them as a side dish, I like to serve them with a main dish that I can cook in the same 450°F oven. So I often serve them with one of the following:
Can I keep leftovers?
Yes, although they won’t be as good as the freshly made pizzas. You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Place them on paper towels to absorb extra moisture, and reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 1 extra-large zucchini, total weight about 1 lb., unpeeled
- Olive oil spray or avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 2 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 oz uncured pepperoni
- Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch-thick slices. You can leave them unpeeled.
- Preheat your broiler on high and position an oven rack 4 inches below the heating element (in most ovens this is simply the top rack). Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil.
- Arrange the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Broil the zucchini until tender and lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Keep a close eye on them! Some might brown faster than the others – remove them to a plate and keep broiling the rest.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Spoon a little marinara sauce on top of each zucchini slice. Top with cheese and pepperoni. Return to the broiler just until cheese is melted, 30-60 more seconds. Serve immediately.