Delicious zucchini pizza bites make great use of large, firm zucchinis. Enjoy the flavors of pizza, sparing yourself the carb overload!
The idea for these zucchini pizza bites came to me after I found some extra-large zucchinis at the farmer’s market. I was wondering what to do with them.
I grilled one of them just the way I usually grill eggplants, brushing it first with a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The balsamic grilled zucchini turned out wonderful.
And then it occurred to me that a large zucchini does resemble an eggplant, and since eggplant pizza is a big hit around here, I could try making a similar recipe using zucchini.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need six ingredients to make these tasty pizza rounds (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Extra-large zucchini
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil spray
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella
- Toppings (such as pepperoni)
How to make zucchini pizza bites
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basics are so easy:
- First, you slice the zucchini and salt the slices to help draw out water. This step ensures non-sogginess, so please don’t skip it!
- Next, you bake the zucchini slices in a hot oven.
- For the final step, you top each zucchini slice with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni, and return to the hot oven to melt the cheese.
Variations on the basic recipe
The basic recipe for zucchini pizza bites that I usually make calls for using shredded mozzarella and pepperoni.
But as you can see in the photos, I changed it up today and used sharp cheddar and Spanish chorizo. So feel free to use whatever cheese and toppings you like.
How to serve zucchini pizza bites
They make a great appetizer or a delicious side dish. When I make them as a side dish, I like to serve them with a main dish that I can cook in the same 450°F oven. So I often serve them with one of the following:
Is this a healthy recipe?
My own personal choice is to consume processed meats, including pepperoni, in moderation. But you can obviously choose a different topping if you prefer, such as sliced black olives.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Slice the zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on a large plate and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil spray.
- Rinse the zucchini slices in a colander and pat dry with paper towels. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray with olive oil spray. Bake 10 minutes on each side, until tender and lightly browned.
- Spoon a little marinara sauce on top of each zucchini slice. Top with cheese and pepperoni. Return to the hot oven for 2 minutes or so, just until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.