An easy, low carb zucchini noodles recipe that closely mimics the experience of eating real pasta. The cheesy, garlicky strands are unbelievably good!
Zucchini noodles with butter and parmesan are amazing. They are so close to the experience of eating buttered noodles!
I’ve been making this recipe often over the past few years. It’s delicious. Savoring the cheesy, garlicky strands, I always think to myself, well, it’s not EXACTLY like real pasta, but it’s surprisingly close!
Given that you can use packaged zucchini noodles, this is also a very easy recipe. It’s literally ready in ten minutes.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You will only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish:
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Grated Parmesan
How do you prepare zucchini noodles?
I started making this recipe back in 2014. Back then, I used a sharp knife to thinly slice healthy fresh zucchinis into noodle-like strands. I was frankly too scared to use a mandoline slicer. I’m on the clumsy side, and it didn’t seem worth the risk. 😳
Later, I learned that one can buy a spiralizer, supposedly a safer instrument for spiralizing vegetables. Stubbornly, I continued slicing zucchini noodles by hand.
As I write here to update this recipe, in December 2017, I am so happy that grocery stores now sell packaged zucchini noodles (I get mine at Whole Foods). So convenient! And sliced much more evenly than my hand-spiralized zucchini.
How to make buttered zucchini noodles
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Make the zucchini noodles by cutting them by hand, using a spiralizer, or buy them already spiralized.
- Cook the noodles and some minced garlic in butter.
- Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parmesan.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for about 3 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More zucchini recipes you might like
If you have zucchini in the fridge and would like more ideas for using it, try this amazing low carb zucchini lasagna. It’s an involved recipe that requires quite a bit of work, but it’s really, really good.
A much easier, and very good recipe is this recipe for balsamic grilled zucchini. It’s the perfect summertime side dish!
Zucchini Noodles Recipe
- 2 medium zucchinis, unpeeled, ends trimmed (total weight 14 oz, 400g)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Using a sharp chef’s knife, slice each zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices, as thin as you can. Slice each of those slices into thin, noodle-like strands. Don’t worry about it if your slices aren’t even.
- Alternatively, make your life easy and buy packaged zucchini noodles at the grocery store. I get mine at Whole Foods.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When melted and foamy, add the zucchini noodles. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Turn heat off.
- To the cooked zucchini noodles in the skillet, add the salt, pepper, pepper flakes and Parmesan. Mix and serve.