Baked zucchini chips are keto and gluten-free. There are no breadcrumbs in this recipe! I simply coat the chips with Parmesan and they come out crispy and delicious.
I love zucchini, especially those firm in-season zucchini with smooth dark-green skin and firm flesh. It’s no wonder I have several zucchini recipes on this blog! This is one of the best.
These crispy keto zucchini chips are so good. It’s one of my favorite side dishes to make when zucchini are in season. It helps that my family loves them too – even the Picky Eater!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty zucchini recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Fresh zucchini: It’s best to use small, firm zucchinis in this recipe. You don’t want them large and watery.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the chips could end up too salty.
Garlic powder: Sometimes I use onion powder. But garlic is best.
Grated Parmesan: Make sure you use finely grated parmesan, not coarsely shredded.
How to make keto zucchini chips
I season these tasty chips with olive oil, garlic, and parmesan and bake them in a hot oven until crispy. I keep them gluten-free and keto by avoiding breadcrumbs and using just Parmesan to coat them.
Salting the zucchini slices before baking them is an annoying extra step, but it removes water from the zucchini, which helps achieve crispiness. So I don’t recommend skipping this step. I tried, and the chips were still delicious, but they were definitely not crispy.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Slice the zucchinis thinly, salt the slices, then rinse and dry them.
2. Spray the slices with olive oil and bake them in a 425°F oven for 15 minutes.
3. Flip, spray with more oil, and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan.
4. Bake 15 more minutes, until browned and crispy.
How to serve Keto zucchini chips
I usually serve them as a side dish. But sometimes my kids ask me to make them for a snack, and I am very happy to oblige! I wish all their snacks were this wholesome. They either eat them on their own or dip them in some unsweetened ketchup.
When I make them as a side dish, I like to serve them with a main dish that I can bake in the same 425°F oven. So I often serve them with one of the following:
What to do with leftovers?
Leftovers keep okay in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. But they do lose their crispiness. You can get some of the crispiness back by baking them in a 350F oven for 10 minutes.
More tasty zucchini recipes
Another wonderful zucchini recipe that I make often is this recipe for baked zucchini fritters. It requires more work than this recipe, but it’s excellent.
And these zucchini fries are a delicacy! Try them dipped in mayonnaise like the Dutch do with their French fries. 😲
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Zucchini Chips
- Olive oil spray
- 2 medium zucchini, about 1 lb. total weight
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and coat it with olive oil spray.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Arrange the slices on a platter or a tray and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Place the salted zucchini in a colander and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. This should draw water out of the zucchini. After 30 minutes rinse, then dry the zucchini slices using paper towels.
- Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Spray them with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Turn each slice to the other side. Spray with more olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, black pepper, and Parmesan.
- Return to the oven, rotating the baking sheet, and continue baking until the zucchini slices are browned and crisp, about 15 more minutes.