An easy recipe for healthy sloppy joes that are keto and paleo. A simple homemade recipe, made without brown sugar and with unsweetened ketchup.
This super easy recipe for healthy keto sloppy joes is just as good as those sugary recipes that call for lots of sweet ketchup and brown sugar. I make it often for my family because it’s one of those dishes that everyone loves.
How to make keto sloppy joes
I use unsweetened ketchup in this healthy sloppy joes recipe (link provided in the recipe card) and completely omit the sugar. When I make this recipe for just my husband and myself, I don’t add any additional sweetener. But when I make it for my teenage kids, I add a bit of stevia. I also add a touch of balsamic vinegar to this healthy sloppy joes recipe for its tangy flavor, a hint of sweetness, and a gorgeous color.
How to serve healthy keto sloppy joes
Instead of using hamburger buns, I serve these healthy sloppy joes in bowls with spoons, just as I serve no bean chili. Another option is to serve them on a bed of cauliflower rice, or to use cloud bread or 90 second bread as a keto bun.
The true test to these healthy sloppy joes is my kids. They eat a higher carb diet than my husband and I, so they expect sweeter tastes. And yet, they LOVE this recipe. They do request that I serve it on a bun, so when I make it for them, I either use a gluten-free bun, or I make one of the low carb buns mentioned above.
Is this a healthy recipe?
I think it is. Meat is very nutritious, and tomatoes – including tomato products – are high in the antioxidant lycopene. Even regular ketchup has health benefits. And since sugar is so harmful, this keto sloppy joes recipe should be a better choice than high-sugar recipes.
What about leftovers?
Sloppy joes are one of those dishes that actually taste better the next day. You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Healthy Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 small onion, chopped (4 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup unsweetened ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia glycerite (optional, equals 1 tablespoon sweetener)
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add the beef and the onions and cook, breaking up the beef into small pieces, until beef is no longer raw and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, 5 more minutes.
- Remove the sloppy joes from the heat. Serve immediately.