An easy recipe for healthy sloppy joes that are keto and paleo. A simple homemade recipe, made without brown sugar and with plain tomato sauce.
This easy recipe for healthy sloppy joes is just as good as those sugary recipes that call for lots of ketchup and brown sugar.
Instead of ketchup, I use plain canned tomato sauce in this healthy sloppy joes recipe. I replace the brown sugar with a small amount of maple syrup, and you can certainly use a keto/low carb syrup if you prefer.
I add balsamic vinegar to this healthy sloppy joes recipe for added flavor, a hint of sweetness, and a gorgeous color.
The true test to these healthy sloppy joes is my kids. They eat a higher carb diet than my husband and I, so they expect sweeter tastes. And yet, they LOVE this recipe. They do request that I serve it on a bun, so when I make it for them, I either use a gluten free bun, or I make one of the low carb buns mentioned above.
Healthy Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce, no sugar/salt added
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, or a keto alternative
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the butter over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add the onion and the beef and cook until beef is no longer raw, about 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat as you cook.
- Add the garlic. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring often, 5 more minutes.
- Remove the healthy sloppy joes from the heat. Serve immediately.