This life-changing chicken crust pizza is made with a mixture of ground chicken, parmesan, and spices.
The chicken bakes into a wonderfully sturdy and tasty crust that you can hold with your hands.
Pizza is one of life's pleasures, and there's absolutely no need to give up on it when you adopt the low-carb or keto way of eating.
That's why I have so many pizza recipes on this website, including keto breakfast pizza, crustless pizza, and cauliflower pizza crust. I love pizza and refuse to give it up!
This particular version is one of my favorites. When you combine ground chicken, an egg, parmesan and spices, something magical happens.
You get a truly sturdy crust, and the chicken flavor is mild enough that it doesn't overpower the pizza.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this pizza. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Ground chicken: I recommend using dark meat and not ground chicken breast. But breast works too if that's all you can get.
- Grated parmesan: Make sure to use dry-grated parmesan and not coarsely shredded cheese.
- Spices: I use garlic powder and oregano to season the crust. Note that I don't add salt to the crust. The parmesan and toppings add plenty of saltiness.
- egg: Acts as a binder that helps the crust stick together. Although from experience, it's not strictly needed. Sometimes I make this recipe without an egg and the crust turns out just fine and doesn't take as long in the oven.
- Toppings: I use pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni, and black olives. You can use your favorite toppings, but the nutrition info will obviously change.
- You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken. Make sure to use dark meat and not ground turkey breast which is too dry.
- If you like spicy food, a nice addition to the crust is ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Instead of mozzarella, you can use shredded provolone.
- Topping options include sauteed mushrooms, thinly sliced bell peppers, green olives, sauteed onions, and (if you like heat) thinly sliced jalapenos. You can also top the pizza, after it's ready, with chopped fresh basil.
Chicken Crust Pizza Instructions
Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here's an overview of the steps:
You start by mixing together ground chicken, grated Parmesan cheese, spices, and an egg. (Photos 1-2).
Next, spread the mixture on a parchment-lined pizza pan or baking sheet thinly and evenly. (Photo 3).
Bake the crust until firm and the edges are golden, about 30 minutes. (Photo 4).
Remove the crust from the oven (keep the oven on) and let it rest in the pan for 5 minutes. (Photo 5).
Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the baked crust. Add the mozzarella, then the pepperoni and olives (or your own favorite toppings). (Photos 6-9).
Return the pizza to the oven to melt the cheese, for about 10 minutes. (Photo 10).
Allow the pizza to rest for a couple of minutes, then cut it into six slices and serve.
- It's important to ensure that the crust is fully baked. It needs to be visibly dry and firm to the touch, with golden brown edges. If you pull it out of the oven and the top is still a bit wet, then you should bake it for longer.
- It's okay to skip the egg - the crust works without it and in fact, it needs less time in the oven if you don't add an egg.
You can taste the chicken flavor when eating this pizza, yes, but it's not overpowering. It's there in the background and it's mild.
No, and that's part of its charm. This crust is very sturdy and you can absolutely eat it with your hands.
Yes. After baking the crust and before adding any toppings, you can cool it completely, then wrap it in cling wrap followed by a layer of foil. It can stay frozen for up to three months.
Because it's made with a chicken crust, this tasty pizza is a full meal. I actually often make it for just The Mister and myself and we split it. When I do that, there's absolutely no need for sides, and we're stuffed for hours.
But if you're dividing this between three people, a side dish to go along with the pizza is nice. In my opinion, the ideal side for pizza is a simple arugula salad.
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to four days. Reheat them gently in the microwave at 50% power.
More Pizza Recipes
👩🏻🍳 I typically publish a new or updated recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe today! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Chicken Crust Pizza
- 1 lb ground chicken (raw; use dark meat, not chicken breast)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (dry-grated, not shredded)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg lightly beaten (optional)
- ½ cup pizza sauce I use Rao's
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 oz pepperoni
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet or pizza pan with heatproof parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground chicken, grated Parmesan cheese, spices, and egg.
- Spread the mixture on the pan thinly and evenly, to a 12-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick. The mixture will be sticky. You can moisten your hands with water to make it easier to handle.
- Bake the crust until firm and the edges are golden brown, 30-40 minutes. It should appear visibly dry. If there’s still moisture on top, keep baking it.
- Remove the crust from the oven (keep the oven on) and let it rest in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the baked crust. Add the mozzarella, then the pepperoni and olives (or your own favorite toppings).
- Return the pizza to the oven for 5-7 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Allow the pizza to rest for a couple of minutes, then cut it into six slices and serve.
Add Your Own Notes
Nutrition per Serving
❤️ Let's connect! Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, or Twitter.
Leave a Reply