Portobello pizza is so tasty. It is the perfect healthy, low carb and keto substitute for real pizza.
Portobello pizza is the ultimate answer for pizza lovers who wish to eat healthy, keto and low carb. The portobello mushroom base is meaty and delicious, and the melty, cheesy topping is delightful, as one would expect.
Portobello pizza is a wonderful snack, but it’s substantial enough to be an entree. When I serve it as an entree, I make two of them per person.
The only challenge with portobello pizza is preventing sogginess. Portobello mushrooms, like all mushrooms, contain quite a bit of liquid, and the last thing you want is for them to release their liquid into your lovely pizza!
Here are my tips for preventing portobello pizza sogginess:
1. Wipe clean, don’t wash the portobello mushrooms. If you wash them, they can absorb too much water.
2. Pre-broil the mushrooms to release some of the water, then drain them, gill side down, on paper towels.
3. In the final stage of broiling, broil briefly, just until the cheese is melted.
Since the mushrooms shrink quite a bit when we pre-broil them, it’s best to buy large portobello mushrooms – as large as you can find. It’s also best for this recipe to use flat portobello mushrooms, to help mimic a regular pizza crust.
- 2 large portobello mushroom, wiped clean, stems removed
- Olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce, no added sugar (I use Rao's)
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (2 oz)
- 8 pepperoni slices (1/2 oz)
- Preheat your broiler on high. Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
- Spray the mushroom caps with olive oil spray on both sides, and sprinkle with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Broil until just tender, 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, keeping the broiler on. Drain them, gill side down, on paper towels. Wipe the baking sheet dry, then return the mushrooms, gill side up, to the baking sheet.
- Fill each mushroom cap with half of the marinara sauce. Top with cheese and pepperoni (or your favorite toppings). Place back under the broiler, in the middle of the oven, just until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.