Refreshing creamy cucumber salad is made with sour cream, vinegar and dill. It’s the perfect summer side dish, and you can make it ahead of time and chill.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this refreshing salad:
- Sour cream
- White wine vinegar
- Dill weed
- Red onion
- Salt and pepper
How to make creamy cucumber salad
It’s the simplest salad, really. Scroll down to the recipe card for the details. Here are the basic steps:
- Cucumber and onion slices are mixed with a simple dressing of sour cream, vinegar and salt.
- Then they are allowed to macerate in the fridge for a few hours.
That’s it! And the result is incredible. Tasty, refreshing, and the perfect side to grilled meats and seafood.
My dad, who is Dutch, used to make a different version of this recipe (“komkommersalade” in Dutch) when I was a kid. He made his with a mixture of oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Probably also dill, if I remember correctly.
He allowed his salad to macerate in the fridge overnight and it was such a treat! One of my favorite side dishes for sure.
I loved dad’s salad as a kid (I really should get the recipe from him). But I love the creaminess of this version just as much.
There’s something about the combination of cucumbers and sour cream. The cucumbers are cool and fresh, the sour cream rich and creamy.
Why I use English cucumbers
English cucumbers are the elongated cucumbers that come wrapped in plastic to protect their unwaxed skin. They have fewer seeds than regular cucumbers and they are firmer and not as watery.
If you can’t get English cucumbers, regular cucumbers are fine.
Can you make this cucumber salad with mayonnaise?
Sure. You can replace the sour cream in this recipe with mayonnaise if you prefer. Or use half sour cream and half mayonnaise.
Can I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream?
Yes. Plain Greek yogurt will work. But it won’t be as tasty, in my opinion. Greek yogurt has more tang and less fat than sour cream, making it not as flavorful (albeit very healthy).
If you use reduced-fat Greek yogurt, I recommend adding a tablespoon of light olive oil to the dressing.
Can I omit the dill?
Sure! Although dill greatly enhances the flavor of this salad, if you don’t like it, you can certainly omit it. Try adding chopped cilantro instead, or – for a milder flavor – chopped parsley.
How to serve this salad?
It’s such a versatile side dish that goes with anything, really. I often serve it as a healthy side to any of the following main dishes:
How long does creamy cucumber salad last?
You can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days, in an airtight container. Mix it again before serving. I find it actually tastes better the second day, after the flavors have had a chance to meld.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill weed
- 1 large English cucumber, thinly sliced (12 oz)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (or chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, vinegar, and dill.
- Add the cucumbers and the onions and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the salt and pepper and mix again.