Delicious, refreshing and creamy cucumber salad is made with sour cream. It’s the perfect side to grilled meats and seafood.
It’s the simplest salad, really. Cucumber and onion slices are mixed with a simple dressing of sour cream, vinegar and salt. Then they are allowed to macerate in the fridge for a few hours.
The result is incredible! Tasty, refreshing, and the perfect side to grilled meats and seafood.
My dad, who is Dutch, used to make a different cucumber salad when I was a kid. He made his with a mixture of vinegar, sugar, and salt. Probably also dill, if I remember correctly. He allowed his salad to macerate in the fridge overnight and it was such a treat! One of my favorite side dishes for sure.
I loved dad’s salad as a kid (I really should get the recipe from him). But I love the creaminess of this creamy cucumber salad just as much. There’s something about the combination of cucumbers and sour cream. The cucumbers are cool and fresh, the sour cream rich and creamy.
Can you make a creamy cucumber salad with mayonnaise?
Sure. You can replace the sour cream in this recipe with mayonnaise if you prefer. I usually use avocado oil mayonnaise. I believe that avocado oil is a better choice than the soybean oil which seems to be a major ingredient in many commercial mayonnaise choices.
How to serve creamy cucumber salad?
How long does creamy cucumber salad last?
You can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days, in an airtight container. Mix it again before serving.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill weed
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced (12 oz)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, vinegar and dill.
- Add the cucumbers and onions and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the salt and pepper and mix well.