A delicious, fresh tasting cherry tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
I love tomato salads in the summer, and this cherry tomato salad with balsamic vinegar is one of my favorites. It’s fresh, simple and so delicious.
There’s nothing quite like summer tomatoes. When they are fresh, they are so good. Ripe yet firm, bright red, sweet and flavorful.
You probably know this already, but you shouldn’t keep tomatoes in the fridge. Refrigerating them detracts from their flavor and texture. After refrigeration, even when brought back to room temperature, they’re just not the same.
Still, you can’t really keep tomatoes on the counter for more than 2 days, 3 at the most. So plan accordingly! I try to make this cherry tomato salad on the day I shop for groceries, or the day after.
If you’re lucky enough to have a farmer’s market in your area, definitely buy your tomatoes there. They tend to be much better than supermarket tomatoes.
Sometimes I turn this cherry tomato salad into a meal by topping it with grilled halloumi. It’s really good!
Looking for more fresh salad ideas? Try this wonderful tomato mushroom salad with feta and basil.
- 1 pint firm cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green parts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a serving bowl, combine the tomatoes and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing on top of the tomato/onion mixture and mix to combine.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.