Crispy, delicious baked zucchini fries elevate the zucchini from a mere healthy vegetable into a super flavorful, totally addictive snack. Plus, they’re keto, paleo and gluten-free!
These baked zucchini fries are so good. They are healthy, keto, paleo and gluten-free. I don’t use bread crumbs in the coating, opting for almond flour instead.
I love zucchini. It’s obviously wonderfu when in season, young and firm and almost sweet. But I’m often tempted to buy zucchini when not in season, knowing full well that it will be less flavorful, more watery and just not as good.
Whether in season or not, these fries are fabulous. They are crispy and so very flavorful. The high heat baking removes excess water and any bitterness from the zucchini, the almond flour coating adds a delightful crunch, and the olive oil and spices add tons of flavor.
Not everyone in my family shares my love of zucchini, but even my toughest reviewer, the Picky Eater, loves these baked zucchini fries.
How to make baked zucchini fries
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s a very easy recipe! Slice zucchinis into fries, dip in egg whites, then coat in seasoned almond flour. Spray with oil and bake in a hot (425F) oven, about 15 minutes per side, until golden.
How to serve baked zucchini fries
You can serve them with unsweetened ketchup for dipping, or with a dip made from sour cream (1/4 cup) and hot sauce (1 tablespoon).
When I serve them as a side dish, I like to serve them with a main dish that I can cook in the same 425°F oven. So I often serve these fries with smoked paprika roasted salmon, with baked chicken legs, or with baked cod.
What about leftovers?
Baked zucchini fries is one of those recipes that are best enjoyed fresh. But if you must, keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty zucchini recipes
Baked Zucchini Fries
- Olive oil spray
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 medium firm zucchinis, unpeeled, ends removed (1 lb.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray them with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick fries. Pat dry using paper towels.
- Place the zucchini fries in the bowl with the beaten egg whites to coat.
- Transfer the fries to the bowl with the almond meal mixture. Toss to coat. The almond meal will form into clusters – that’s OK, just make sure it adheres to the fries.
- Arrange the coated zucchini fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, not touching each other. Lightly spray them with olive oil spray.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Carefully turn the fries. Spray again, return to the oven, rotating the cookie sheets, and bake 15 more minutes, until browned and crispy.