Crispy keto zucchini fries elevate this vegetable into a super flavorful snack. They are surprisingly easy to make!
I love zucchini! It's obviously wonderful when in season, young and firm and almost sweet. But I'm often tempted to buy it when not in season, knowing full well that it will be less flavorful, more watery, and just not as good.
Whether in season or not, these fries are fabulous. They are crispy and so very flavorful. So I find myself making them year-round, not just when zucchini is in season.
A wonderful way to prepare zucchini
The reason these keto zucchini fries are so good? The high heat baking removes excess water and any bitterness from the zucchini. The well-seasoned almond flour coating adds a delightful crunch. And the olive oil and spices add tons of flavor.
Not everyone in my family shares my love of zucchini. But even my toughest reviewer, The Picky Eater, loves these tasty fries.
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Olive oil spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you'd rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Egg whites: They enable the almond flour to adhere to the fries, and they also help to crisp them up.
Almond flour: I don't use bread crumbs in the coating, opting for almond flour instead.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: Garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Zucchinis: For the best results, use firm zucchinis.
How to make keto zucchini fries
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It's a very easy recipe! Here are the basic steps:
1. Slice zucchinis into strips.
2. Dip the strips in egg whites, then dredge them in seasoned almond flour.
3. Spray with oil, then bake in a hot (425°F) oven, 10-15 minutes per side, until golden.
How to serve them?
You can serve them with unsweetened ketchup for dipping, or with a dip made from sour cream (¼ cup) and hot sauce (1 tablespoon).
When I serve them as a side dish, I like to serve these fries with a main dish that I can cook in the same 425°F oven. So I often serve these fries with one of the following:
What about leftovers?
Keto zucchini fries are best enjoyed fresh. But if you must, you can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty zucchini recipes
I have many other wonderful zucchini recipes that I make often. A few of my favorites are:
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Zucchini Fries
- Olive oil spray
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large zucchnis unpeeled (1 lb.)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray the paper with olive oil.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- In another bowl, mix together the almond flour, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne. Divide the mixture between two shallow bowls - this will help prevent the almond flour coating from becoming soggy.
- Trim the zucchinis' ends and cut into ¼-inch-thick fries, as shown in the video below. Pat them dry using paper towels.
- Place the zucchini fries in the bowl with the beaten egg whites to coat.
- Dredge each zucchini strip in the seasoned almond flour (gently press to help it adhere), then place on the prepared baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer. To prevent a sticky mess, it's best to use one hand for picking each zucchini strip up from the egg whites, then the other hand to dredge it in the almond flour.
- Lightly spray the zucchini strips with olive oil, then bake them in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Carefully turn the fries. Spray again, return to the oven, and bake until browned and crispy, 10-15 more minutes.