This homemade ranch dressing recipe is made with Greek yogurt. It’s delicious and has a clean ingredients list. Plus, it’s super easy to make!
I love ranch dressing. It’s my favorite salad dressing, and I also love dipping fresh-cut veggies into it (mini peppers and raw snowpeas being big favorites of mine).
But why bother with making a homemade version? Well, if you’ve ever looked at the ingredients list of a typical commercial dressing, you were probably horrified.
Homemade is better
The ingredients list for a popular brand includes soybean oil, sugar, modified food starch, monosodium glutamate, xanthan gum, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, and calcium disodium EDTA. 😮
There’s really no need to buy it, though. It’s so easy to make your own from scratch, using wholesome ingredients. So there’s really no excuse not to!
Greek yogurt as the base for homemade ranch dressing
I make this recipe using nutritious Greek yogurt rather than buttermilk, for the simple reason that I always have Greek yogurt in the fridge, and rarely have buttermilk.
So I use Greek yogurt, and dilute it with some water, especially if I use the dressing in a salad. If I use it as a dip, it’s perfect without any added water.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty homemade dressing. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Greek yogurt: I use whole-milk Greek yogurt in this recipe.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use
Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and dried dill.
Water: If you want to thin it out.
How to make homemade ranch dressing
It’s easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and dried dill.
2. Serve as a dip with fresh-cut veggies. If you want to use this as salad dressing, mix in water to thin it out – start with 1/4 cup water.
How to use it?
The most obvious use for this dressing is for dipping fresh-cut veggies. You can also dilute it with water and make it into a tasty salad dressing.
How to store it
You can store it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for about 5 days. I tend to make a batch about once a week. Stir it each time you use it, and add some water if it becomes too thick.
More tasty Greek yogurt recipes
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt (I use Fage 5%)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup water, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and dried dill.
- Serve as a dip with fresh-cut veggies.
- If you want to use this as salad dressing, mix in water to thin it out – start with 1/4 cup water.