A simple recipe for crispy oven baked chicken legs. For crispy skin and juicy meat, bake the chicken legs for 45 minutes at 425 degrees F.
These tasty oven baked chicken legs have crispy, delicious skin and juicy, succulent meat. Who says chicken can’t be a delicacy?
How do you make chicken legs crispy in the oven?
The secret to crispy oven baked chicken legs? Don’t bake them at 350 degrees F. Instead, bake in a hot oven – 425 degrees F – for 45 minutes. This will ensure a beautifully crispy skin and juicy meat.
Do check the chicken after the first 30 minutes. If the skin seems to be browning too much, loosely cover the chicken with foil and continue baking.
The skin is the best part!
Many recipes for oven baked chicken legs will tell you to trim any excess skin from the thigh part. Me? On the contrary. When I make these baked chicken legs, I leave every bit of delicious skin on.
In fact, if I have space on the pan, I spread any excess skin out on the pan, and then it comes out super crispy and so, so good. Kind of like freshly baked homemade pork rinds, but even better.
By the way, if you’re worried that chicken skin is unhealthy, I have god news for you! It looks like experts are now saying that it’s actually fine.
How to serve baked chicken legs?
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover baked chicken legs in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3 days. I don’t like to reheat them, though. Reheating dries the chicken out. Leftover chicken is very tasty cold!
Baked Chicken Legs
- Olive oil spray
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken legs (drumstick and thigh)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, and fit it with a wire rack. Spray the wire rack with olive oil.
- Place the chicken legs on the prepared wire rack. Untuck the skin from the bottom of the thighs and spread it along the rack (to make it crispy).
- Generously spray the top of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasonings.
- Bake, uncovered, until skin is crisp and browned and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 45 minutes. Check the chicken after the first 35 minutes. If the skin seems to be browning too much, loosely cover it with foil and continue baking.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.