This easy recipe for Parmesan crusted chicken is low carb and gluten free. Simply coat with spiced mustard and Parmesan/almond meal, then bake until crispy and golden.
This easy recipe for oven baked parmesan crusted chicken is low carb and gluten free thanks to using healthy almond meal instead of breadcrumbs. But you are welcome to replace the almond meal with breadcrumbs if you prefer.
How do you make parmesan crusted chicken in the oven?
Making this recipe is easy. Simply coat chicken breasts with seasoned Dijon mustard. Dredge in a mixture of grated Parmesan and almond meal. Spray with oil and bake until browned.
The crust comes out crispy, and the inside is tender and juicy. The Parmesan adds lots of flavor to an otherwise bland and boring chicken breast meat.
Tips for making this parmesan crusted chicken recipe a success
If using almonds rather than breadcrumbs, it’s best to use coarse almond meal and not fine almond flour. But if all you have is almond flour, it should work too.
It’s also best to use small chicken breasts – 6-7 oz. Although I’ve made this Parmesan crusted chicken recipe with large, 8-9 oz chicken breasts and it turned out OK. The problem with large chicken breasts is that you need to bake them for longer, so the coating can become overly browned.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this parmesan crusted chicken in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. The coating will lose its crispness, though. I usually slice the leftovers and use them cold as a salad topping.
More chicken breast recipes you might enjoy
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Avocado oil spray
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup almond meal (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (40 grams)
- 4 small chicken breasts, 6-7 oz each
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and fit it with a roasting rack. Spray the roasting rack with oil.
- In a small bowl, use a spatula to mix the mustard, salt, garlic powder, thyme and cayenne.
- In a 8-inch square baking dish, whisk together the almond meal and Parmesan.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides, then brush with the Dijon mixture. Dredge in the almond meal/Parmesan mixture.
- Place the coated chicken breasts on the prepared roasting rack. Sprinkle them with paprika (mostly to add a nice color), then lightly spray them with oil.
- Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 20 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes, then sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.