A truly easy keto chicken cordon bleu recipe. Get the wonderful flavor combination of the classic dish, without the hard work.
Before I made this easy keto chicken cordon bleu, I tried making the classic recipe.
A cordon bleu is a dish of meat with cheese filling, breaded and pan-fried. But I tried to make a baked version.
It was a disaster! The cheese completely oozed out of the rolled chicken breasts. There was nothing left inside the chicken. 😳
OK. Plan B. Online, I found “easy” recipes that suggested creating a pocket inside the chicken. Then stuffing the ham and cheese inside the pockets, the cheese securely rolled inside the ham.
Nope. The cheese still managed to ooze out, leaving me with dry chicken breasts and puddles of melted cheese on the pan.
Maybe I’m a bad cook, I don’t know. The pictures I saw online made it look so easy.
My easy version
I still wanted to make baked keto chicken cordon bleu, and then it dawned on me. I want the flavor combination – chicken, Dijon, ham, and Swiss cheese.
So I don’t really need the pretty presentation! (Although if I wasn’t so inept in the kitchen, I would have loved that too).
So this is what brought me to the current recipe. The cheese is the part that I find the most challenging. So I decided to coat the chicken breasts, bake them, then layer them with ham and cheese and return to the oven just until the cheese is melted.
Success! Tonight for dinner, we all enjoyed the wonderful flavors of this dish. No cheese puddles! Just juicy chicken breasts topped with warm ham and melted Swiss cheese.
The ingredients you’ll need to make keto chicken cordon bleu
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy entree. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Avocado oil spray
- Mayonnaise – I like to use avocado oil mayonnaise
- Dijon mustard
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (a healthy protein source)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Almond meal
- Thin-sliced ham
- Swiss cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
What cheese is best in this recipe?
It’s best to use cheese that holds its shape when melted. I like to use Swiss cheese. Gruyere can work too. Mozzarella is meltier and milder, so it’s less appropriate for this recipe.
How to make easy keto chicken cordon bleu
Easy! See the recipe card below for the detailed instructions. The basic steps:
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and coat them with a mixture of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Dredge them in almond meal and spray with oil.
- Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes at 425°F.
- Top each of them with ham and Swiss and return to the oven to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Or try an even easier version!
An even easier version would be not to bother with the almond meal. Simply bake the chicken breasts, then spread with Dijon, and top with ham and Swiss cheese.
Return them to the oven for a few minutes, just until the cheese melts. That would be the ultimate in ease, and still very tasty!
What about leftovers?
Leftovers of this delicious keto chicken cordon bleu keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking dish with foil, fit it with a wire rack and spray the rack with oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Brush on all sides with the Dijon mixture. Dredge in the almond meal, and place on the prepared wire rack. Spray with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165 degrees F, about 20 minutes.
- Top each chicken breast with two slices of ham (folded in two if necessary) and a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Return to the hot oven for 2-3 minutes, just until the cheese melts. Garnish with chopped parsley. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.