Keto chicken parmesan is a genius dish that takes the blandest of meats – chicken breast – and elevates it into a delicacy.
“It’s like pizza on a chicken breast!” declared the Picky Eater, delighted. Why yes, it is. The humble chicken breast is coated with a mixture of almond meal and Parmesan, sauteed, then topped with marinara sauce and more cheese and baked.
Keto chicken parmesan is definitely as good as it sounds, and I think it’s a genius way to turn the blandest of meats – chicken breast – into a delicacy.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this keto chicken recipe (exact measurements are included in the recipe card below):
Olive oil spray: Olive oil is so delicious. But if you’re unsure about cooking with it, you can use avocado oil instead. It has a higher smoke point.
Chicken breasts: Boneless and skinless. Try to pick relatively small pieces, about 6-7 oz each.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
Garlic powder: I use it to season the chicken.
Egg: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Almond meal: Blanched almond flour works too.
Grated Parmesan: It’s best to use finely grated cheese and not coarsely shredded.
Marinara sauce: Try to use a sugar-free brand such as Rao’s.
Provolone cheese: Mozzarella works too.
Fresh basil: Basil leaves survive for just a short time in the fridge, so try to make this dish soon after you buy them. Unless you’re lucky enough to grow them! 🌿
How to make keto chicken Parmesan
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
Season the chicken breasts. Dip them in an egg wash and then in a mixture of almond meal and Parmesan.
Bake them for 15 minutes, then top with marinara sauce and cheese. Bake 5 more minutes. Garnish with chopped basil and serve.
A truly easy recipe
To keep this recipe easy, I don’t slice the chicken breasts or pound them thin, and I don’t saute them.
Instead, I bake them in the oven in two stages. The first to cook them through and brown the almond meal coating, the second to melt the cheese.
How to top keto chicken parmesan?
I usually use slices of provolone cheese and chopped parsley, because I tend to have those in my fridge.
But shredded mozzarella will work too. And you can use different herbs, including basil and oregano.
If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, it’s fine to skip them. In this case, I would add a dried herb, such as dried oregano, when seasoning the chicken breasts.
How to serve it
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers of this keto chicken parmesan in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
But keep in mind that they won’t be as good as fresh. The almond meal especially tends to become a little soggy.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Chicken Parmesan
- Olive oil spray
- 4 small chicken breasts, 6-7 oz each
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 4 (1 oz) slices provolone
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and fit it with a wire rack. Spray the rack with olive oil.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry. Season them on both sides with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- In a pyrex dish, whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water.
- In another dish, mix together the almond meal and Parmesan.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg, then dredge in the almond meal mixture.
- Transfer the coated chicken breasts to the prepared wire rack. Spray the tops with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven but keep the oven on. Top each chicken breast with about 2 tablespoons marinara sauce and 1 slice provolone.
- Return the chicken breasts to the oven for 5 more minutes, until cooked through, internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, and cheese is melted.
- Top the chicken Parmesan with chopped parsley or basil and serve.