If you’re looking for a healthy snack, these eggplant chips are perfect for you. They are crunchy and savory, and they will satisfy your crunchy/ salty cravings – in a healthy way.
Crispy, savory and delicious, these eggplant chips make an excellent snack that satisfies that “crunchy/salty” craving.
How do you make eggplant crispy?
That’s the main challenge when making eggplant chips.
One trick is to use Japanese eggplants, because their elongated shape allows for more uniform chips. But regular eggplants should work too. Try to find small, firm eggplants though. The really big ones are not ideal for this recipe.
Another trick is to cut the chips VERY thin, and spray them liberally with olive oil. Then bake in a hot oven.
Is eggplant good for a low carb diet?
Yes! A serving of these eggplant chips has 14g carbs, but that includes 6g of fiber. Eggplant is high fiber, so it’s low on the glycemic index and suitable for a low carb diet.
If you love eggplant, you should definitely give this eggplant chips recipe a try (also try my yummy recipe for eggplant parmesan!). Especially for those trying to eat healthy and/or low carb, this is a wonderful wholesome replacement for junky snacks such as potato chips.
How to serve eggplant chips?
What to do with leftover eggplant chips?
Leftovers keep OK for 2-3 days in the fridge, although they do lose their crispiness. I sometimes add them, cold, to a salad as a salad topping. Or you can reheat them in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes, to crisp them up a bit. But this recipe is best enjoyed fresh.
Other low carb chips you might enjoy
- Olive oil spray
- 2 Japanese eggplants or 1 regular eggplant, 1 lb. total weight, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray the foil with olive oil spray.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the eggplants very thinly, into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Spray them with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Bake the eggplant chips in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, turn the eggplant slices to the other side, and bake 10 more minutes, until browned and crispy. Watch them carefully after 5 minutes to make sure they don't burn.