Looking for a healthy snack? These eggplant chips are perfect for you. They are crunchy and savory, and they will satisfy your cravings in a healthy way.
Crispy, savory and delicious, these homemade chips make an excellent snack that satisfies that “crunchy/salty” craving. I make them quite often because my entire family enjoys them.
How to make eggplant chips crispy
That’s the main challenge when making this recipe! One trick is to use Japanese eggplants. Their elongated shape allows for more uniform chips. But regular eggplants should work too. Try to find small, firm eggplants though. The really big ones are not ideal for this recipe.
Another trick is to cut the chips VERY thin and spray them liberally with olive oil. Then bake in a hot oven.
Keep in mind that even after all these efforts, homemade vegetable chips that you bake in your oven will not be as crispy as commercial ones.
Is eggplant good for a keto or low carb diet?
Yes! A serving of these chips has 14g carbs, but that includes 6g of fiber. Eggplant is high fiber, so it’s low on the glycemic index and suitable for a low carb diet.
If you love eggplant, you should definitely give this recipe a try (also try my yummy recipe for eggplant parmesan!). Especially for those trying to eat healthy and/or low carb, this is a wonderful wholesome replacement for junky snacks such as potato chips.
How to serve eggplant chips?
What to do with leftovers?
Leftovers keep OK for 2-3 days in the fridge, in an airtight container, although they do lose their crispiness. I sometimes add them, cold, to a salad as a salad topping. Or you can reheat them in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes, to crisp them up a bit. But this recipe is best enjoyed fresh.
Other low carb chips that you might enjoy
Enjoyed these eggplant chips and want to explore similar recipes? Another healthy and low carb recipe that satisfies crunchy/salty cravings is this recipe for jalapeno cheese crisps. I also really like salami chips and garlic kale chips.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- Olive oil spray
- 2 Japanese eggplants or 1 regular eggplant, 1 lb. total weight, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with foil and spray the foil with olive oil spray.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the eggplants very thinly, into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Spray them with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Bake the eggplant chips in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, turn the eggplant slices to the other side, and bake 10 more minutes, until browned and crispy. Watch them carefully after 5 minutes to make sure they don’t burn.