Healthy keto chicken nuggets are coated with almond flour, then baked until deliciously crispy. The spicy chipotle dipping sauce is wonderful!
I make these healthy keto chicken nuggets often. They’re really good. It’s interesting how coating chicken breast improves its flavor.
The ingredients you’ll need
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make these tasty nuggets (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below) :
- For the chipotle dipping sauce: mayo, sour cream, and chipotle pepper sauce
- Cooking spray
- Chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Spices: garlic powder, cayenne pepper
- Blanched almond flour
How do you make keto chicken nuggets?
It’s very easy, as you can see in the video below. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. The basic steps:
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
- Dip the pieces in a seasoned egg.
- Next, dredge them in almond flour.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 450°F. That’s it!
Can you make them without eggs?
Yes. Instead of the egg mixture, you can mix 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I prefer avocado oil mayo) with the same spices, then coat the chicken pieces with that before dredging in the almond flour.
Can you make keto chicken nuggets without almond flour?
Yes! As mentioned above, almond flour is not the only option when it comes to keto or low carb coatings. Other options include dry-grated parmesan cheese and crushed pork rinds.
Do I have to use the chipotle dipping sauce?
Of course not! We’re a family of two adults and two teenagers. We have grown-up tastes. So I add cayenne pepper to the nuggets and serve them with a chipotle dipping sauce in lieu of ketchup.
But you can certainly serve these healthy chicken nuggets with any dip you like, such as mustard or sugar-free ketchup. And if you serve them to young children, you might want to omit the cayenne.
Is this a healthy recipe?
The dipping sauce is made with healthy avocado oil mayonnaise. And If you’d rather not use mayonnaise and sour cream in the dip, you can use Greek yogurt instead, a healthy option but it probably won’t taste as good.
How to serve keto chicken nuggets
You can serve them as a snack or an appetizer, 4 pieces per person. Or serve them as a main course, 6-8 pieces per person, with your favorite side dish.
I like to serve them with baked zucchini fries. I simply bake the zucchini in the same 450°F oven for 10 minutes per side.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover keto chicken nuggets in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave on 50% power, or in a 300°F oven.
The almond flour coating is a bit fragile, so be careful when handling the nuggets. I never tried freezing them, so I’m not sure about that.
More chicken breast recipes you might enjoy
The very basic recipe for juicy baked chicken breast does indeed make nicely flavored, juicy chicken breast that you can use in salads, in wraps, and in many other recipes such as stuffed poblano peppers.
And another family favorite that I make often is this recipe for baked keto chicken tenders.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Keto Chicken Nuggets
Chipotle dipping sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with avocado oil spray.
- Prepare the chipotle dipping sauce by mixing its ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces, as shown in the video below.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Place the almond flour in another small bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, then dredge in the almond flour, pressing to coat. To avoid sticky mess, use one hand to dip in the egg, and the second hand to dredge in the almond flour.
- Arrange the chicken nuggets in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Spray them with avocado oil. Bake until the bottom is golden, about 8 minutes.
- Carefully flip, spray with more oil, and bake until golden and cooked through, about 8 more minutes.
- To promote browning, if your baking dish is broiler-safe, you can finish by broiling the chicken nuggets, in the middle of the oven, for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, with the chipotle dipping sauce.