You will love these crispy, delicious cauliflower pancakes. They are low carb and keto, and contain no flour.
The idea for cauliflower pancakes occurred to me the last time I made cauliflower pizza crust.
I was watching the magic of the cauliflower crust coming together in the oven. Suddenly I thought that I could use the same recipe to make cauliflower pancakes that do not require pre-cooking the cauliflower.
We all loved the result – golden, delicious, delicate cauliflower pancakes. Like all fried foods, there’s something crispy and addictive about them. But at least these are healthy!
No flour in these keto cauliflower pancakes
I keep these cauliflower pancakes keto and gluten-free by not using any flour in the mixture. Making them does require patience and a gentle hand. So if you lack patience, and don’t mind grains/gluten, you could try adding 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the mixture to make it a bit sturdier.
Fry in olive oil or in butter
I like to fry these cauliflower pancakes in olive oil. But if you prefer, I’m sure that butter would be wonderful too. As you know, grass fed butter is actually good for you.
How to season these cauliflower pancakes?
I season these cauliflower pancakes simply, with salt, pepper and garlic powder. You can certainly add more seasonings if you’d like. Perhaps add 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme. Both would complement this dish well.
What to serve with them?
Or serve these cauliflower pancakes with a couple of fried eggs and a salad for a delicious meatless dinner. They’re extra delicious when topped with a dollop of sour cream.
What about leftovers?
If you happen to have any leftovers, they keep well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. They taste great when gently reheated in the microwave on 50% power, or even cold. I sometimes grab one for a quick snack, and eat it straight out of the fridge!
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella (2oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and rice it – pulse until its texture resembles rice. Work in batches if needed. You should get 2 heaping measuring cups of riced cauliflower, about 280 grams (10oz).
- In a medium bowl, mix the riced cauliflower, eggs, mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet, over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Measure 1/4 measuring cup per pancake, flattening them thin with the back of a spoon after placing in the skillet. Fry the pancakes over medium heat (not higher) about 5 minutes, until the underside has formed a sturdy, golden-brown crust. Be patient – if you flip them too soon, they will fall apart.
- Carefully flip to the other side, and fry 5 more minutes, or until golden-brown on both sides and sturdy enough to lift off the skillet.
- Repeat two more times, adding a tablespoon of olive oil before each batch. Keep the cooked cauliflower pancakes in the warm oven while you make more batches.