Tasty zucchini fritters are baked rather than fried. They are healthy, delicious, low carb and gluten free!
These baked zucchini fritters are so good!
Zucchini is always delicious, especially when young and firm. But these zucchini fritters truly take zucchini to a whole new level. They are crispy, golden, and super flavorful. How good it feels, to eat something that’s healthy AND delicious!
These baked zucchini fritters are low carb, gluten free and paleo. They don’t contain flour – I use almond flour instead, and a bit of coconut flour to absorb any extra liquid.
You can serve them as a side dish, but they are substantial enough to be served as a main course. I like to serve them with a side of tomato salad. It makes for a very colorful plate!
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave, or in a 350F oven for 10 minutes.
Baked Zucchini Fritters
- 1 lb. unpeeled zucchini (2 large)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Grate the zucchini, using your food processor's grating attachment, or the largest holes in a box grater, as shown in the video.
- Place the grated zucchini in a strainer set atop a bowl. Mix 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in. Allow to drain for 30 minutes, then press on the zucchini with a spoon to extract even more liquid. The more liquid you get rid of, the crispier the zucchini fritters will turn out. And please don't skip this step, as tedious as it might seem - it is crucial to the success of this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray the parchment with olive oil.
- Transfer the grated zucchini to a medium bowl. Mix in the scallions, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper, eggs, almond flour and coconut flour.
- Use a 4-tablespoon scoop to scoop out mounds of the mixture into the prepared baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon to gently flatten and shape into rounds, as shown in the video. Spray the tops with olive oil.
- Bake the zucchini fritters until golden brown and wonderfully fragrant, about 15 minutes on each side, spraying again with olive oil after flipping them. Serve immediately.