Bacon-wrapped meatloaf is amazing. The bacon imparts a wonderful smoky flavor and keeps the meat from drying out.
Bacon-wrapped meatloaf is keto, low carb and so very tasty. The bacon not just adds lots of flavor. It also keeps the meat from drying out.
The Dijon-maple glaze is optional, but even with it, a serving of this dish has only 4 grams of carbs.
Bacon makes everything better!
I love bacon (duh), and I love meatloaf – it’s such a tasty comfort food. So it only makes sense that combining these two loves would create something really, really good.
Indeed – bacon makes everything better, and meatloaf is no exception. And how about these super cute bacon-wrapped mini meatloaves? Tasty and adorable!
The bacon keeps the meat from drying out, which is definitely a bonus, especially if you’re low carb and/or paleo and you don’t use milk-soaked bread in the mixture.
There ARE ways to keep low carb meatloaf juicy – check out this keto meatloaf recipe. But for sure, The bacon does a really good job of keeping this dish nice and juicy.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty meatloaf. Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Dijon mustard: It’s creamier and less vinegary than yellow mustard.
- Maple syrup.
- Ground beef: I use lean ground beef, 85% lean and 15% fat. I don’t recommend going any lower than this or the meatloaf will be too dry.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use.
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme. Spices are delicious and healthy, but make sure they are fresh. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish!
- Grated Parmesan: Make sure you use finely grated parmesan and not coarsely shredded.
- Bacon: Use medium-thickness slices.
How to make bacon-wrapped meatloaf
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Mix and shape the meatloaf. To make the meatloaf, you mix the ground beef with salt, pepper, and spices, and shape into a loaf.
- Wrap it in bacon. Next, you wrap the meatloaf in bacon slices.
- Bake. Bake for 30 minutes, brush with half the Dijon-maple sauce, then bake for 30 more minutes.
- Glaze. When the meatloaf is done, brush it with the remaining sauce, allow to rest, then slice and serve.
More tips for making bacon-wrapped meatloaf
The Dijon-maple glaze is optional, but it’s wonderful and very highly recommended. It adds lots of flavor, and the sweet-salty combination is so good.
I don’t add eggs to the meatloaf mixture, because I think they are unnecessary. I do add lots of Parmesan cheese, which apart from flavoring the meatloaf also helps absorb the cooking juices, keeping them in the meatloaf.
Isn’t bacon unhealthy?
Processed meats have been linked to disease. And while the absolute risk is quite small, I don’t think we should ignore it. My own personal choice is to consume processed meats in moderation. In other words, I only make this recipe occasionally.
How to serve bacon-wrapped meatloaf?
Since this is such a rich main course, I like to serve it with a simple side of vegetables. I often serve it with one of the following side dishes:
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep quite well in the fridge for 3-4 days, but the bacon does lose its crispiness when refrigerated. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave on 50% power.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- Oil spray for pan
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 8 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and fit it with a wire rack. Spray the wire rack with oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard and maple syrup to make the sauce. Divide into two portions. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme and Parmesan.
- Shape into a loaf (using a standard loaf pan as shown in the video helps shape the meatloaf). Wrap the meatloaf with the bacon slices, tucking their edges under the meatloaf, as shown in the video.
- Place the wrapped meatloaf on the prepared rack. Brush with half the sauce. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven. Using a clean pastry brush, brush it with the remaining sauce. Return to the oven and bake until bacon is crisp and the meatloaf’s internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F, about 30 more minutes.
- Allow the bacon wrapped meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into eight thick slices and serving.