Tasty carrot chips are baked in a hot oven until crispy. Wonderful all by themselves, or dipped in a sour cream dip.
These homemade chips are so good! Roasting thinly sliced carrots in olive oil elevates them from a fairly boring veggie into a super tasty snack. Even my youngest, the notoriously Picky Eater, likes them.
How do you make carrot chips?
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card. But you simply coat thin carrot slices with olive oil and spices, then roast in a hot oven until crispy.
I’m lazy, so I use pre-sliced, store-bought sliced carrots. Obviously, you could simply slice the carrots yourself. The advantage of slicing them yourself is that you can slice them thinner.
Are they as crispy as store-bought chips?
Unfortunately, they are not. But they ARE crispy, caramelized and very tasty. I would think that to get potato chips crispiness, you would need a dehydrator.
Is this a healthy recipe?
Like all root vegetables, carrots are packed with nutrients, but they are high in carbohydrates. If you need to eat a very low carb diet, these are not the best choice for you. Otherwise, I believe they are very healthy, in moderation.
How to serve carrot chips
Serve them as a side dish, or as a healthy snack. I like dipping them in a homemade spicy sour cream dip – simply mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 teaspoon hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
What about leftovers?
If you have leftovers, they keep OK in the fridge in a sealed container for 3-4 days. But as one might expect, they’re not as good as when served fresh out of the oven. They do lose their crispiness. Reheat them gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More vegetable chips recipes you might enjoy
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 lb. thinly sliced carrots, 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the carrot slices on paper towels to remove excess water. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread the carrot slices in one layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, shaking the pan midway through baking, until browned and crispy.
- If the carrots are not evenly sliced and some slices are still not crispy, remove the crispy ones to a plate and continue baking for 5-10 minutes longer, to crisp up the thicker slices. Watch them closely to make sure they don’t burn.