A very easy recipe for tasty honey glazed carrots. Made with just a small amount of honey, they are wonderfully flavorful and very healthy.
These honey glazed carrots are so delicious. I really like this vegetable. In fact, I even love simply steamed carrots!
But the butter and honey glaze featured here is so wonderfully delicate. And it really enhances the natural sweetness of the carrots.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Petite carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Dried thyme
How to make honey glazed carrots
It’s such an easy recipe! The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Cook the carrots briefly, just until tender but not mushy.
- Drain, then add them back to the pot with some butter, honey, salt, and thyme.
That’s it! This recipe is ready in about 20 minutes.
Can you make them ahead of time?
Yes, you can. You can make them a couple of hours ahead of time and keep them in a warm (150 degrees F) oven. Or even make them the day before, then reheat in a 200F oven.
What carrots to use?
I like to use petite carrots. Not the large carrots, but also not the baby carrots sold in bags, which are less flavorful. Petite carrots (as shown in the photos) are the sweetest and the most flavorful, in my opinion.
However, you can also make this recipe with baby carrots, or with regular large carrots.
If using the latter, cut them so that they are in fairly equal chunks. So cut them in half crosswise, then cut the thick top in half lengthwise.
Are glazed carrots healthy?
I believe that this particular recipe is indeed healthy. It is not low carb, of course. So if you’re on a low carb diet, this recipe is not for you. But if you are on a moderate carb diet, I think this is a good choice.
Carrots are very healthy. I use very little honey in this recipe, so it’s not overly sweetened.
What to serve with them?
This is such a versatile side dish. It goes with almost anything. I most often serve it with one of the following main dishes:
Can I keep leftover glazed carrots?
Yes. You can keep them in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the oven, or in the microwave on 50% power.
More carrot recipes you might like
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb. petite carrots*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring water (about 2 inches high) to a boil over medium-high heat. When water boils, add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the carrots.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook the carrots until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the carrots well in a colander.
- Add the drained carrots back to the warm saucepan, set on medium-low heat. Add the butter, honey, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper, and dried thyme.
- Cook the carrots, stirring often, until the honey butter glaze coats them, about 2 minutes. Garnish the glazed carrots with parsley and serve.