A very easy recipe for tasty honey glazed carrots. Made with a small amount of honey, these glazed carrots are delicious – and healthy.
These honey glazed carrots are so delicious. I really like carrots – in fact, I love simple steamed carrots. But the butter and honey glaze featured here is so wonderfully delicate. And it really enhances the natural sweetness of the carrots.
The ingredients needed for this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish:
- Petite carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Dried thyme
How to make honey glazed carrots
It’s such an easy recipe! The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
- Cook the carrots briefly, just until tender but not mushy.
- Drain, then add them back to the pot with some butter, honey, salt, and thyme.
That’s it! Honey glazed carrots are ready in about 20 minutes.
Can you make glazed carrots ahead of time?
Yes, you can. You can make them a couple of hours ahead of time and keep them in a warm (150 degrees F) oven. Or even make them the day before, then reheat in a 200F oven.
As for leftovers, you can keep them in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the oven, or in the microwave on 50% power.
Having said that, glazed carrots are best when freshly made. But this is true for most recipes.
What carrots to use?
I like to use petite carrots. Not the large carrots, but also not the baby carrots sold in bags, which are less flavorful. Petite carrots (as shown in the photo) are the sweetest and the most flavorful, in my opinion.
However, you can also make this recipe with baby carrots, or with regular large carrots. If using the latter, cut them so that they are in fairly equal chunks. So cut them in half crosswise, then cut the thick top in half lengthwise.
Are glazed carrots healthy?
I believe this particular recipe is indeed healthy. It is not low carb, of course. So if you’re on a low carb diet, this recipe is not for you. But if you are on a moderate carb diet, I think this is a good choice.
More carrot recipes you might like
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb. petite carrots*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring water (about 2 inches high) to a boil over medium-high heat. When water boils, add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the carrots.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook the carrots until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the carrots well in a colander.
- Add the drained carrots back to the warm saucepan, set on medium-low heat. Add the butter, honey, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper, and dried thyme.
- Cook the carrots, stirring often, until the honey butter glaze coats them, about 2 minutes. Garnish the glazed carrots with parsley and serve.