In this easy recipe for baked Cajun chicken, chicken breast is coated with a tasty cajun rub, then baked in a hot oven until perfectly juicy.
I’m always looking for ways to make the old boring chicken breast more interesting. Easy chicken cordon bleu is a favorite. And this cajun chicken recipe is definitely another good one! It’s delicious, and it’s also healthy – it’s generously seasoned, and spices have many health benefits.
How to make Cajun chicken
It’s an easy recipe. Simply coat the chicken breast with a cajun dry rub that you can quickly mix. Or use store bought cajun seasoning if you prefer. Then spray the chicken with some oil. Finally, bake it in a 450F degree oven until the cajun chicken is perfectly done – nice and juicy. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
How to ensure your Cajun chicken is juicy
I use the same baking technique here that I always use when baking chicken breasts. Baking them at a high temperature for a short time. It’s the best way to keep the chicken breast from drying out.
Baking in a hot oven for a relatively short time ensures juicy chicken. But if your chicken breasts are bigger than 8 oz each, bake them for 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes. Some chicken breasts weigh as much as 12oz! If that is the case, loosely cover them with foil after the first 20 minutes. This will prevent the tops from scorching in the hot oven.
Is this a spicy recipe?
How spicy you make this Cajun chicken is completely up to you. I use 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper for two chicken breasts. If you like heat, you can certainly use 1/4 teaspoon.
What about leftovers?
Have leftovers? You can keep them in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them, covered, in the microwave on 50% power. Or eat them cold! I like to make myself a lunch plate of cold sliced Cajun chicken, fresh cut veggies and quick pickles.
- Avocado oil spray
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (8 oz each)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a square 8-inch baking dish with oil. Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix the Cajun seasoning ingredients.
- Rub the cajun seasoning into the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Place the coated chicken pieces in the greased baking dish. Spray their tops with oil.
- Bake until cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 20 minutes.
- Place on a plate, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.