Grilled Halloumi is a delicacy. Golden brown, crispy exterior. Soft, gooey interior, and a wonderfully savory flavor. It’s a magic cheese that you can grill!
Grilled Halloumi cheese is so good. It has a browned, crusty exterior. A soft, gooey interior. And an intensely savory flavor. It truly is magic – cheese that retains its shape when grilled.
What is halloumi?
Halloumi is a semi-hard, unripened brined cheese from Cyprus. It’s made from a mixture of goat and sheep milk. It tastes like a combination of fresh Mozzarella and feta. This cheese has a high melting point, which makes it an ideal candidate for grilling or frying.
Grilled halloumi is like magic. You grill it and it doesn’t turn into a melty mess! It retains its shape when grilled. And it develops a crispy exterior and a soft, delicious interior. Yes, it’s as good as it sounds!
Is grilled halloumi healthy?
I believe it is. Recent research says that for most healthy people, full-fat dairy products are not just harmless, but might actually have several health benefits. And cheese is a good source of protein and calcium.
How to serve grilled halloumi?
It makes a wonderful salad topping. Sometimes I serve it on a low carb English muffin that I skillet-toast in olive oil. In addition, grilled halloumi is delicious all by itself, eaten as yummy finger food. This is my own favorite way of enjoying this tasty cheese.
What about leftovers?
Ideally, you should eat grilled halloumi fresh. Keeping leftovers is kind of like keeping leftover grilled cheese sandwich. It will be okay when you reheat it in the microwave. But it won’t be as good as when eaten fresh.
Still, if you must, you can keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them very gently in the microwave on 50% power, or eat them cold.
- 1 (8 oz package) halloumi cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Slice the halloumi block into eight (1 oz) slices.
- Brush the halloumi slices with olive oil on both sides.
- Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium heat, about 5 minutes. If you don’t own a grill pan, a regular nonstick pan will work, although the fried cheese won’t look as pretty without the grill marks.
- Place the cheese slices in the pan (work in two batches if necessary). Cook 3 minutes on each side, until crisp and browned. Serve immediately.