Flavorful, tender oven braised short ribs. It’s an easy recipe – there’s no need to brown them first, and the delicious sauce is sugar-free!
I love these oven braised short ribs. Rich, fatty, tender beef – a true comfort food! And they are more affordable than ribeye roast, another fatty cut of beef which I also adore.
In this easy recipe, I simply place the seasoned ribs in a pan and bake them for three hours at 300 degrees F. Yes, it’s as easy as it sounds.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty main dish. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Boneless beef short ribs.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Hot pepper sauce.
- Spices: smoked paprika, garlic powder, and dried thyme. Spices are very healthy – just make sure they are fresh. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
How do you make oven braised short ribs?
I was wondering that too before I made them for the first time. At Costco a few months ago, I saw these gorgeous, well-marbled, prime grade boneless chuck short ribs. Of course, I had to buy them!
But when it was time to cook them, there was no way I was going to brown them first, make a complicated sauce, check on them every 30 minutes… I wanted to just put them in the oven and forget about it.
So I was grateful to find this easy recipe for oven braised boneless short ribs on the Food Network. Obviously, I wasn’t going to use the sweet sauce since I’m on a low carb diet. But I really liked it otherwise.
So I made my own marinade, baked them slowly, and was rewarded, three hours later, with very flavorful, super tender ribs.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps for making this short ribs recipe:
- Start by cutting the ribs in half and arranging them in a rimmed baking dish. Season with the salt, pepper, and a mixture of the remaining ingredients.
- Cover tightly and bake in a 300°F oven for 2.5 hours.
- Baste, and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes.
- Serve with the braising liquid for dipping.
Should I brown the ribs before braising them?
No! I tried it both ways, and I think these are just as good when you don’t go through the extra step of browning them first.
How to serve oven braised short ribs
More rib recipes that you might enjoy
If you like ribs, you should definitely try this very easy recipe for slow cooker beef back ribs. They are incredibly flavorful!
And these easy oven baked spare ribs are phenomenal. My family loves them!
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Oven Braised Boneless Short Ribs
- 6 boneless beef short ribs (4 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Cut the short ribs in half and arrange them in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small jar, add the vinegar, hot pepper sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder and thyme. Shake well to combine. Pour the sauce over the ribs and use your hands to toss and coat all the pieces.
- Cover the pan tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil. Bake the ribs until cooked through and tender, 2.5 hours.
- Remove the foil, baste the tops of the short ribs with the braising liquid, and continue baking the ribs for 30 more minutes, allowing the tops to brown.
- Serve with the braising liquid. I like to place a small bowl filled with the braising liquid on each plate. This allows the diners to dip their meat into the yummy liquid.