Hearty, flavorful keto lasagna proves once and for all that you don’t need starches to enjoy traditional Italian flavors.
This low-carb lasagna is so delicious. Warm layers of seasoned spinach, ground beef and melted cheese – truly, you won’t miss the noodles at all.
I have learned that quite often, the flavors we associate with grains are in fact the flavors of the fillings and toppings, while the grains are no more than a filler or a binder that absorbs the other flavors. It’s true for pizza, for example, and it’s also very true for lasagna.
The ingredients you’ll need
The list of ingredients needed to make this keto lasagna is simple. You probably have most of them already. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Frozen chopped spinach: I never tried making this recipe with fresh spinach. I always have frozen chopped spinach in the freezer and I find it super-convenient.
Olive oil: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you’d rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Ground beef: I use lean ground beef (85% lean and 15% fat). It is my opinion that leaner than that will not be as flavorful.
Onion and garlic: I’m lazy, so I chop the onion in the food processor and use jarred minced garlic.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Marinara sauce: Try to use a sugar-free one such as Rao’s.
Cream cheese: I use full-fat cream cheese.
Egg: I use large eggs in most of my recipes, this one included.
Cheese: I like to use shredded mozzarella.
How to make keto lasagna
Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. This is a very easy recipe! You basically have three layers. Each of the layers is simple to make, and the assembly is even easier:
The spinach layer – this is your base layer. The spinach is thawed and drained very well (you don’t want the dish to end up soupy), then mixed with softened cream cheese and an egg so that it holds its shape.
The meat layer – ground beef is cooked in olive oil and flavored with onions, garlic, and marinara sauce. You layer it on top of the spinach mixture.
The cheese layer – comes on top of the meat layer. It consists of shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan. You can replace the mozzarella with another melty cheese such as provolone.
When you pull the bubbly, hot lasagna out of the oven, you’ll no doubt congratulate yourself on yet another victory. Yes, you can eat low carb and eat very well!
How to serve keto lasagna?
I usually serve it as a main course. With its rich layers of meat, dairy and veggies, it’s a complete meal, so it doesn’t really need any sides to go with it.
Additions and substitutions
Here are a few ideas for variations on the basic recipe:
- Chop some fresh basil (about 1/4 cup) and mix it into the cream cheese.
- Dried herbs are good too – you can mix 1/2 teaspoon of any dried herb (oregano and basil are especially good) into the cream cheese.
- Like your food spicy? Add 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes to the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of dry-grated parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella for some added flavor.
- You can double this recipe and bake the lasagna in a 9X13-inch baking dish.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power. You can also cut the low carb lasagna into individual portions and freeze them in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for the pan
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 small onion chopped (4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (I use Rao’s)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded (3 oz)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a square 8-inch baking dish.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave. Drain thoroughly by transferring the thawed spinach to a colander and pressing on it repeatedly with the back of a large spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, using a wooden spoon to stir and to break up the ground beef into small chunks, until the onion is soft and the meat is browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the beef mixture, then return it to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds, then mix in the marinara sauce. Turn the heat off.
- Place the cream cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl and heat for 40 seconds to soften. With a fork, stir it until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, the black pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and keep stirring the mixture until very smooth. With a spatula, add the drained spinach and mix to blend everything together. Mix well.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with the meat mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Bake the lasagna until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Let stand for ten minutes before cutting and serving.