This keto and low carb spinach lasagna is another one of those recipes that prove that you do not need starches and grains to eat exceptionally well.
This keto and low carb spinach lasagna is so delicious. Warm layers of seasoned spinach, ground beef and melted cheese – truly, you won’t miss the noodles at all.
I have learned that quite often, the flavors we associate with grains are in fact the flavors of the fillings and toppings, while the grains are no more than a filler or a binder that absorbs the other flavors. It’s true for pizza, for example, and it’s also very true for lasagna.
The ingredients you’ll need
The list of ingredients needed to make this recipe is simple. You probably have most of them already. The exact measurements are in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Frozen chopped spinach: I never tried making this recipe with fresh spinach. I always have frozen chopped spinach in the freezer and I find it super-convenient.
- Olive oil: A healthy oil, but if you’re unsure about cooking with it, you can use avocado oil instead.
- Ground beef: I use lean ground beef (85% lean and 15% fat).
- Onion and garlic: Did you know that garlic has several health benefits?
- Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you might want to reduce the amount you use. A teaspoon of kosher salt weighs less than a teaspoon of regular salt.
- Marinara sauce: Try to use a sugar-free one such as Rao’s.
- Cream cheese: I use full-fat cream cheese.
- Egg: I use large eggs in most of my recipes.
- Cheeses: shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
How to make keto low carb spinach lasagna
Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. This is a very easy recipe! You basically have three layers. Each of the layers is very simple to make, and the assembly is even easier:
- The spinach layer – this is your base layer. The spinach is mixed with cream cheese and an egg so that it holds its shape.
- The meat layer – flavored with onions, garlic, and marinara sauce.
- And on top of everything comes the cheese layer, consisting of shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
When you pull the bubbly, hot keto lasagna out of the oven, you’ll no doubt congratulate yourself on yet another victory. Yes, you can eat low carb and eat very well!
How to serve low carb keto spinach lasagna?
I usually serve it as a main course. With its layers of meat, dairy and veggies, it’s a complete meal.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power. You can also cut the low carb lasagna into individual portions and freeze them in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Low Carb Spinach Lasagna
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 (10 oz box) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (I use Rao’s)
- 1 (8 oz package) cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a square 8-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave. Drain thoroughly by transferring the thawed spinach to a colander and pressing on it repeatedly with the back of a large spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, using a wooden spoon to stir and to break up the ground beef into small chunks, until onion is soft and meat is browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the beef mixture, then return to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds, then mix in the marinara sauce. Turn heat off.
- Place the cream cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl and heat for 40 seconds to soften. With a fork, stir until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, the black pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and use a hand whisk to whisk until smooth. With a spatula, add the drained spinach and mix to blend everything together.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with the meat mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella and the Parmesan on top. Bake 30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand ten minutes before cutting and serving.