This keto and low carb spinach lasagna is another one of those low carb recipes that prove that you do not need starches and grains to eat exceptionally well.
This keto and low carb spinach lasagna is delicious. Warm layers of seasoned spinach, ground beef and melted cheese – truly, you won’t miss the noodles at all.
I have learned that quite often, the flavors we associate with grains are in fact the flavors of the fillings and toppings, while the grains are no more than a filler or a binder that absorbs the other flavors. It’s true for pizza, for example, and it’s also very true for lasagna.
How to make keto spinach lasagna
Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. This is a very easy recipe! You basically have three layers in this low carb spinach lasagna. The spinach layer (mixed with cream cheese and an egg so that it holds its shape), the meat layer (flavored with onions, garlic, and marinara sauce), and the cheese layer – mozzarella and parmesan. Each of the layers is very simple to make, and the assembly is even easier.
When you pull the bubbly, hot keto spinach lasagna out of the oven, you’ll no doubt congratulate yourself on yet another victory for low carb foodies! Yes, you can eat low carb and eat very well!
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is. For starters, it’s an improvement over high-carb, wheat flour based lasagna. Spinach is very healthy, meat is nutritious, and dairy – including dairy fat – is not just harmless but even beneficial and anti-inflammatory.
How to serve keto spinach lasagna?
Serve it as a main course. In fact, this low carb spinach lasagna is a complete meal. But you can serve it with a side if you wish. I like to serve it with a tomato salad or with roasted cherry tomatoes, to add color to the meal.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them gently in the microwave on 50% power. You can also cut the keto spinach lasagna into individual portions and freeze them in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Low Carb Spinach Lasagna
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 (10 oz box) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (I use Rao's)
- 1 (8 oz package) cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a square 8-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave. Drain thoroughly by transferring the thawed spinach to a colander and pressing on it repeatedly with the back of a large spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, the onion and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, using a wooden spoon to stir and to break up the ground beef into small chunks, until onion is soft and meat is browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the beef mixture, then return to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds, then mix in the marinara sauce. Turn heat off.
- Place the cream cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl and heat for 40 seconds to soften. With a fork, stir until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, the black pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and use a hand whisk to whisk until smooth. With a spatula, add the drained spinach and mix to blend everything together.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with the meat mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella and the Parmesan on top. Bake 30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand ten minutes before cutting and serving.