A simple recipe for healthy steamed spinach, seasoned with butter, lemon juice and garlic. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best ones!
I love my sautéed spinach – it’s very flavorful. But my kids actually prefer this simple recipe for steamed spinach. It’s an easy recipe. Gently steam the spinach, then season it with salt, pepper, garlic, butter, and a squirt of lemon juice. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best!
My kids used to really dislike spinach, until they realized how delicious it is when liberally topped with butter. 😀 And when I use grass fed butter, I know it’s actually good for them.
I use pre-washed spinach leaves in this recipe, simply to make my life easier (I’m a lazy cook!). You can certainly use whatever fresh spinach you prefer, but do use fresh – it won’t be as good if you use frozen spinach.
Another spinach recipe that we all enjoy is this delicious creamed spinach.
- 1 lb. pre-washed spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Place the spinach leaves in a very large, deep skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover (ideally with a clear lid so you can peek) and turn the heat to medium-high. When the spinach starts to steam, turn the heat to medium, and keep steaming until the leaves are just wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked spinach to a colander. Press on it with the back of a large serving spoon to extract as much liquid as you can.
- Transfer the steamed spinach to a serving plate. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and drizzle with melted butter and lemon juice. Mix and serve.