Classic hollandaise requires some elbow grease. I was grateful to find this easy blender hollandaise sauce recipe that literally takes just five minutes.
I am so grateful for this easy blender hollandaise sauce recipe! This classic sauce is such a delicacy. Its creamy texture and delicate flavor are just wonderful.
It’s perfect with fish, delicious over vegetables such as steamed asparagus. And it goes wonderfully with eggs – eggs benedict is a classic recipe. Believe it or not, it’s also very good when simply spooned over hard-boiled eggs.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need five ingredients (plus a little water) to make this rich sauce (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
Egg yolk: I use a large egg yolk.
Lemon juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Kosher salt: If using fine salt instead of kosher salt, use half this amount.
Cayenne pepper: Just aq pinch. The cayenne doesn’t make the sauce spicy, it just adds an interesting layer of flavor.
Unsalted butter: Since this is a major component of the sauce, it’s good to use high-quality butter. I love Kerrygold butter.
How to make blender hollandaise sauce
The classic recipe requires some elbow grease, which frankly I don’t have the patience for. So I was grateful to find this easy blender recipe that literally takes just five minutes to make.
You will need an immersion blender for this recipe. I got mine on Amazon for around $40 – this is the one I have, and I like it. No complaints so far.
The detailed instructions are included in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps:
1. Add the egg yolk, water, lemon juice, kosher salt and cayenne pepper into a cup that just fits the head of an immersion blender.
2. Cube the butter, and place it in a glass measuring cup. Melt the butter in the microwave, in 30-second increments.
3. Place your immersion blender’s head into the bottom of the cup and turn it on. With the blender running, very slowly pour the melted butter into the cup. The butter will emulsify with the egg yolk and lemon juice, resulting in a thick, creamy sauce.
This sauce is perfect for the keto diet!
When you start eating low carb, you give up on sugar (although you can still eat wonderful keto desserts!). But you need not give up on fats. In fact, for many on the keto diet, fat replaces sugar when it comes to their number one indulgence.
So if you’re on the keto diet, the good news is that hollandaise sauce is naturally low in carbs and high in fats. Which means that this is one highly pleasurable food that you can enjoy.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Unfortunately, you can’t. This sauce cannot be refrigerated and reheated, so try to only make as much as you plan on using right away. I never had any trouble whatsoever polishing it off. 🙂
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Easy Hollandaise Sauce
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add the egg yolk, water, lemon juice, kosher salt and cayenne pepper into a cup that just fits the head of an immersion blender. I used a 16-oz coffee mug.
- Cube the butter, and place it in a glass measuring cup. Melt the butter in the microwave, in 30-second increments.
- Place your immersion blender into the bottom of the cup and turn it on. With the blender running, very slowly pour the melted butter into the cup. The butter will emulsify with the egg yolk and lemon juice, resulting in a thick, creamy sauce.
- Transfer the hollandaise sauce to a serving dish.
- Serve immediately. Hollandaise sauce cannot be cooled and reheated, but it will keep for up to one hour at warm room temperature.