In this keto and healthy sauteed spinach recipe, fresh spinach is sautéed in garlic-infused olive oil, then dressed with butter and lemon juice.
Sauteed spinach is an easy and tasty way to prepare fresh spinach. I make it often for my family. If I add enough butter, even The Picky Eater agrees to have some!
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty and healthy side dish (exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Olive oil
- Fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh lemon juice
How do you saute fresh spinach?
This healthy sauteed spinach recipe is a simple recipe that elevates spinach into a delicacy. It is also very easy:
- You start by cooking fresh spinach leaves in garlic-infused olive oil.
- Then you dress the cooked spinach with butter and lemon juice.
Needless to say, spinach is delicious when prepared with heavy cream, butter, and parmesan. This creamed spinach recipe is wonderful.
But when you use truly fresh baby spinach leaves, they are so delicate, almost sweet. So you can use minimal ingredients and cook them very briefly for a truly delicious and healthy side dish.
In this healthy recipe, the spinach is cooked in olive oil. The butter is used not for cooking the spinach, but for finishing the dish and adding another layer of flavor. The combination of olive oil, butter, garlic, and lemon juice is amazing.
Is sauteed spinach healthy?
What to serve with this dish?
This side dish is easy to make and it’s ready quickly. I like to pair it with oven-baked meats such as ribeye roast and crispy baked chicken thighs. But really, this is a very versatile side dish that goes with anything.
Can you keep leftovers?
I don’t typically have leftovers when making sauteed spinach. But on the rare occasion that I do, I find that they keep fine in the fridge for a couple of days in an airtight container. Although this dish is best when served fresh.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. baby spinach leaves, pre washed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (not fine salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a very large, deep pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute, until no longer raw, but not browned.
- Add the spinach, salt and pepper, carefully mixing with a wooden spoon to coat the spinach leaves in the olive oil. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sauteed spinach to a serving bowl and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Serve immediately.