It’s surprising really, but simple buttered steamed cabbage is a delicacy. Steaming transforms the bitter vegetable into a delectable dish, and it’s so inexpensive too!
It may not look like much. But this simple steamed cabbage, seasoned with butter and garlic, is a delicacy.
I really like cabbage. Not in its raw form! As a teenager on crazy diets I used to eat raw cabbage to get a sensation of fullness without consuming significant calories. Never again. 🙂
But cooked cabbage is very tasty! And this buttery steamed cabbage is especially good.
I also like how easy this recipe is. I am lazy about side dishes (well, about recipes in general). I like them to be easy. This steamed cabbage recipe fits the bill. It’s a tasty and easy side dish that comes together quickly.
If you’re looking for more cabbage recipes, try this excellent roasted cabbage. It’s wonderful!
Another cabbage recipe that my family really enjoys are these Japanese cabbage pancakes. They’re admittedly a bit more labor intensive. But they are so good, I think it’s worth it.
- 1 medium cabbage (2 lb. trimmed)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Trim the cabbage, then shred. Place in a colander and rinse.
- Transfer the rinsed cabbage to a large, deep skillet, without drying it off - the water adhering to the cabbage will allow it to steam.
- Turn the heat on medium-high and cover. When the cabbage starts to steam, lower heat to medium.
- Steam, covered, 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Uncover and cook 2 more minutes to allow any remaining water to evaporate.
- Add the butter, garlic, salt and black pepper, and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine. Cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring, until butter has melted. Serve warm.