In this easy slow cooker lamb shanks recipe, flavorful, tender, fall-off-the-bone lamb shanks are slowly braised with broth and aromatics until very tender.
I make this slow cooker lamb shanks recipe quite often. It’s easy, and I always try to make extra, so that I have yummy leftovers.
I adore lamb. It’s so intensely flavorful! Lamb shanks are especially fun to eat. They’re like huge drumsticks – I feel like a cavewoman when I eat them. 🙂
How to cook lamb shanks
Lamb shanks should be cooked low and slow, or the meat will be tough. In this slow cooker lamb shanks recipe, I use the slow cooker to ensure slow, even cooking.
These flavorful, tender, fall-off-the-bone lamb shanks are slowly cooked in the slow cooker, with broth and aromatics, until very tender.
Should I brown the lamb shanks before putting them in the slow cooker?
I’ve experimented with browning the lamb shanks before slow cooking, and have found that the extra step is not worth the trouble. The lamb shanks are excellent with or without browning.
How to make the gravy
This is a truly easy recipe. I would say that the only challenging part is making the gravy. It’s important to skim the fat off the cooking liquids before attempting to reduce them. Otherwise, the oil can separate.
Cook the liquids patiently over medium heat just until thickened, then immediately turn the heat off.
You can speed up the process by mixing a teaspoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water and stirring that into the cooking liquids.
What sides go with slow cooker lamb shanks?
Is this a healthy recipe?
I believe it is. Current dietary advice is to limit red meat. But lamb is very nutritious. It’s an excellent source of high-quality protein, and of many vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12.
More tasty slow cooker recipes
Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 small lamb shanks, about 3 lb. total weight
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Add the broth to your slow cooker.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt, pepper and rosemary. Place the shanks in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 7 hours, until lamb is very tender.
- When the lamb shanks finish cooking, set the slow cooker to WARM.
- Transfer the cooked lamb shanks to a plate. Strain the cooking liquids into a glass measuring cup, then return the lamb shanks to the slow cooker and cover, to keep them warm while you thicken the gravy.
- Use a spoon to skim the fat layer off the top of the cooking juices. Pour them into a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until almost boiling but not quite, then turn the heat down to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until liquids are reduced into a rich gravy, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb shanks to plates, spoon the gravy on top and serve.