A wonderfully flavorful spicy fish stew that enhances, rather than masks, the delicate flavor of the fish.
This delicious fish stew is super flavorful. And although quite spicy, the heat does not overwhelm the dish. Rather, the seasonings allow the delicate flavor of the fish to shine through.
I’m generally not a huge fan of delicate white fish. I usually prefer bold-flavored fish such as tuna and salmon. But the seasonings used in this recipe impart lots of flavor and make it one of my favorite ways to serve cod.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty stew. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Kosher salt
- Spices: paprika, cumin, coriander, crushed red peppers
- Tomato paste
- Pomi strained tomatoes
- Cod fillets
How to make fish stew
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Start by mixing together the olive oil, garlic, salt, spices, and tomato paste.
- Heat the mixture in a large deep skillet.
- Whisk in the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then add the fish. Spoon the sauce on top of the fish.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and cook about 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
Is this fish stew healthy?
I believe it is. Cod is on the FDA’s recommended fish list. It’s one of the safest fish to eat.
The tomato brand you use makes a difference
I use the Pomi brand of strained tomatoes in this recipe. You can substitute canned tomato puree, but Pomi tomatoes are extremely flavorful and sweet.
A domestic tomato puree will likely be more acidic, so you might want to add a tablespoon of honey to balance out the flavors.
Pomi products are available in most supermarkets, at Whole Foods Market, and on Amazon (link below in the recipe card).
How to serve this spicy fish stew
Obviously amazing with crusty bread, for us low carbers it is thoroughly enjoyable when simply eaten with a spoon! It’s also nice with some almond flour biscuits on the side.
What about leftovers?
Keep leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Reheat them very gently, covered, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty cod recipes you might enjoy
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Spicy Fish Stew
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, tomato paste, garlic, kosher salt, paprika, cumin, coriander, and crushed red peppers to create a paste.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet (I use a cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes. Add the paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the strained tomatoes. When the tomatoes start to boil, add the fish fillets, spooning the sauce on top.
- Cover (use heavy-duty foil if your skillet does not come with a lid), lower the heat to medium, and cook until the fish is cooked through, about 15 minutes.