Delicious, wholesome homemade frozen yogurt recipe. Three basic ingredients and you can add your own fruit. No ice cream maker needed!
This homemade frozen yogurt recipe requires no ice cream maker. It’s easy, delicious and wholesome. It’s healthier than store-bought varieties, and it tastes wonderfully fresh.
Can you simply put yogurt in the freezer?
Not exactly. To achieve a good consistency, you either need an ice cream maker, or you can use the method I outline below in the recipe card and stir the yogurt often during the freezing process. This helps prevent large ice crystals from forming.
While the frequent stirring may seem like a drag, it’s not difficult to do on a day when you’re home anyway. And to me, it’s worth the space I save in my kitchen!
Why bother with a homemade frozen yogurt recipe? Why not just buy it?
Have you seen Pinkberry’s list of ingredients? Their original flavor contains nonfat milk, sugar, nonfat yogurt, nonfat yogurt powder, fructose, dextrose, natural flavors, citric acid, guar gum, maltodextrin, mono- and diglycerides, and rice starch. 😳
Unlike commercial brands, this recipe contains no additives, so don’t expect the “perfect” texture you get when you add thickeners, stabilizers, and emulsifiers.
But it’s wonderful! You can taste the tang of the yogurt and the sweetness of the honey. It’s simple, delicious, and fresh, and it’s best enjoyed on the same day you make it.
What ingredients do you use?
The basic recipe is simple: yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract. To that, you can add fruit – fresh or frozen, pureed or chunky.
I like to completely puree the fruit in the food processor, then add the yogurt, honey, and vanilla.
But you can blend the yogurt and honey first, then add the fruit and process briefly, leaving fruit chunks in your yogurt.
I’ll post each recipe separately over the next few weeks. Today, I’ll start with the most basic flavor: vanilla.
Is this homemade frozen yogurt recipe healthy?
I think it’s healthy for a dessert. It’s made with a short list of wholesome ingredients. Yogurt is very healthy.
How to serve it?
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Homemade Frozen Yogurt Recipe
- 2 cups Greek yogurt, plain, full fat
- 1/4 cup honey*
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the yogurt, honey and vanilla in your food processor’s bowl.
- Process to incorporate, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl, then process 1 more minute, until light and fluffy.
- Using a spatula, transfer the mixture into a square 9-inch pan. Cover with cling wrap, and freeze for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the freezer, Use a spatula to stir the already-frozen edges into the still-soft center, then use a whisk to mix everything together until smooth.
- Cover again, and place in the freezer for 2 more hours, repeating the process of stirring the yogurt every 30 minutes.
- When the entire mixture is frozen, serve immediately as a soft-serve yogurt (use chilled bowls), or freeze 1-2 more hours for a firmer consistency that you can scoop out with an ice cream scoop.
- If you end up storing the frozen yogurt for longer than that (say, overnight or a couple of days – I doubt it will last longer), remove it from the freezer 20 minutes before serving, to allow it to soften.