Deliciously fragrant baked apple slices are one of my favorite afternoon snacks. I like to serve them with creamy Greek yogurt.
Apples are amazing. Biting into a crisp sweet apple is such a pleasure! Although when eaten raw, I'm one of those who like tart apples. Granny Smith is my favorite variety, but not for cooking! I actually like it raw. 🍏
Sliced raw apple is delicious, no doubt. But when you take those same apple slices, sprinkle them with cinnamon and bake them, the crunchy, tart fruit transforms into a fragrant, sweet, delicious dessert.
The ingredients you'll need
There's nothing sweeter than a short list of ingredients, don't you agree? Well, for this easy recipe, you only need three ingredients: a Fuji apple, some unsalted butter, and ground cinnamon. That's it!
You can skip the butter if you wish, by the way. The butter does enhance the apple's flavor, but I find that the apple slices are delicious even without it. If you do use butter, make sure it's unsalted.
What apple variety to use?
I like to use Fuji apples for cooking. They are sweet, so they don't require an added sweetener. And they withstand baking well. Honeycrisp is another good variety.
While I do enjoy them raw, I find that Granny Smith apples are a bit too tart for a cooked apple recipe that has no added sugar. So I prefer not to use them in this recipe.
How to bake apple slices
It's so easy. In fact, this is one of my easiest recipes. I included the detailed instructions below in the recipe card. But here's an overview of the basic steps:
1. You start by cutting the apple into slices. I simply cut it into quarters around the core, then slice the quarters. You can see exactly how I do it in the video below.
2. Next, arrange the apple slices in a parchment-lined square baking dish. Pour melted butter on top and use your hands to coat the apples with the butter.
3. Sprinkle the apples with half the cinnamon. I don't add any sugar! I think it's unnecessary.
3. The final step is to bake the apples until tender, about 10 minutes on each side in a 400°F oven. When you turn the slices, midway through baking, sprinkle them with the remaining cinnamon.
Should I add brown sugar?
I don't add any sugar when I make this recipe. Fuji apples provide more than enough sweetness, in my opinion. In fact, I find that fruit-based recipes rarely need added sugar. Fruits are very sweet!
As long as you don't use tart varieties such as Granny Smith, there's truly no need for added sugar. Simply sprinkle the apples with cinnamon, then bake them until tender.
How to serve baked apple slices?
They make a wonderful homemade dessert. Or you can serve them with a cup of plain Greek yogurt for a filling snack. My kids love having them with yogurt for their afternoon snack! They either dip the apples into the yogurt or mix them in.
They also make a great topping for pancakes such as these almond flour pancakes.
Can I keep the leftovers?
I don't normally have leftovers when making this recipe. It's very easy to polish it off. 🙂
But when I do, I find that these baked apple slices keep well in the fridge in a sealed container for 3-4 days. I simply reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power. They are surprisingly good when eaten cold, by the way.
More baked fruit recipes that you might enjoy
I typically publish a new recipe once a week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Baked Apple Slices
- 1 large Fuji apple, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a square 8-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the apple into 12 ¼-inch slices, discarding the core, as shown in the video below.
- Place the apple slices in the prepared pan. Drizzle them with the melted butter and use your hands to coat them. Arrange them in the pan in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the tops of the apple slices with half the cinnamon. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the apple slices to the other side. Sprinkle them with the remaining cinnamon. Keep baking them until golden-brown and tender, about 10 more minutes. Drizzle with the pan juices and serve.