Delicious and creamy homemade chocolate frozen yogurt has a clean list of ingredients and is made without an ice cream maker.
Intensely chocolatey and delightfully creamy, this chocolate frozen yogurt recipe is the result of several attempts at getting to perfection. I’m glad I persevered – it’s wonderful!
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty dessert. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Granulated sweetener
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Plain full-fat Grek yogurt
- Vanilla extract
How to make homemade chocolate frozen yogurt
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. It’s a very easy recipe! I make it without an ice cream maker. Here are the basic steps:
- Simply mix the ingredients (I use a food processor).
- Then transfer the mixture to a pan.
- Freeze, stirring the yogurt during the first 2 hours.
Stirring the yogurt prevents large ice crystals from forming and helps achieve a creamy consistency.
How to sweeten chocolate frozen yogurt
The bitterness of the cocoa powder and the tang of the yogurt require a fairly large amount of sweetener.
So I opt to use a low carb sweetener in this recipe. I use erythritol, but you can use any other granulated sweetener.
If you don’t need this yogurt to be low carb, you can use granulated sugar or honey. The nutritional analysis will change of course.
What cocoa powder to use
I recommend using Dutch-processed cocoa powder in this recipe. Dutch processing adds an alkali to the cocoa, reducing its acidity. Natural cocoa powder is quite acidic. Dutch-processed cocoa powder is milder.
How long should I freeze it?
Out of all my frozen yogurt recipes, this one takes the longest to freeze. I’m not sure why. But unlike the others, this one is best if left to freeze overnight before serving.
After the first day, once completely frozen, it’s good to remove it from the freezer 20 minutes before serving, to allow it to slightly soften.
Is this a healthy recipe?
As for the sweetener, it’s up to you and your preferred diet to choose the best sweetener for you. The FDA says that sugar alcohols are generally safe.
How to serve chocolate frozen yogurt
Obviously, you can serve it just as it is. It’s rich and delicious! You can also top it with fresh berries, with shredded coconut, or with a dollop of whipped cream.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-carb ganulated sweetener (powdered erythritol works well)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, Dutch-processed
- 2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt (I use Fage 5%)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add the ingredients to your food processor. Process until completely smooth, stopping twice to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Process one more minute, until light and fluffy.
- Using a spatula, transfer the mixture to a square 9-inch pan. Cover with cling wrap, and freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the freezer, Use a spatula to stir the already-frozen edges into the still-soft center, then use a whisk to mix everything together until smooth.
- Cover again, and place in the freezer for 3 more hours, repeating the process of stirring the yogurt every 60 minutes.
- When the entire mixture is frozen, serve immediately as soft-serve yogurt (use chilled bowls), or freeze 2 more hours (and ideally overnight) for a firmer consistency that you can scoop out with an ice cream scoop.
- If frozen overnight, remove the yogurt from the freezer 10 minutes before serving (but not longer, this one melts fast), to allow it to soften.