Crunchy and salty-sweet, healthy honey roasted nuts are made with just a touch of honey and flavored with smoked paprika and sea salt. They are keto and paleo!
Crunchy, fragrant and salty-sweet, honey roasted nuts make a wonderful and healthy snack (another good one is roasted chestnuts).
They also make a great homemade hostess gift this holiday season. Well. that’s assuming you’ll resist the temptation to polish them off by yourself! Speaking from experience here. 😳
How is this recipe keto if it contains honey?
The amount of honey in this recipe adds just a touch of sweetness, and keeps these honey roasted nuts healthy and keto. Though you could lower the carbs even more by using a low carb syrup such as this one, or maybe this one.
If you use a honey alternative, and assuming these syrups provide zero carbs, the low carb version has 185 calories, 6g carbs and 3g fiber per serving.
If you like your honey roasted nuts very sweet, you can certainly double the amount of honey or sweetener.
How do you make honey roasted nuts?
The recipe card below provides the full details. But the basics are easy. Coat the nuts with butter, honey, salt and smoked paprika (yes! the smoked paprika adds wonderful smoky flavor). Then roast the nuts until golden. Roasting at 300 degrees F ensures that the nuts roast slowly and evenly and don’t burn. I tried to roast them in a 350F oven, and the results weren’t as good.
Are honey roasted nuts good for you?
I think it depends on the amount of honey you use. Nuts are healthy, and butter is harmless. But honey, despite its benefits, is still sugar. In this recipe I use very little honey, so yes, I think these honey roasted nuts are healthy.
How to store honey roasted nuts
These honey roasted nuts keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, but they do lose some of their crunch after the first day. Reheat them in a 300F oven for 10 minutes to restore that crunch.
PS. this dark chocolate bark makes another wonderful homemade hostess gift for the holidays.
Honey Roasted Nuts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- 8 oz mixed unsalted nuts (I used 2 oz each hazelnuts, almonds, pecans and shelled pistachios)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place the butter and honey in a glass baking dish. Heat in the oven until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the nuts and the smoked paprika. Toss to coat.
- Roast the nuts until golden, about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the pan and spread them evenly on wax paper or parchment paper. Sprinkle with the salt. Allow to cool and crisp up, about 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container, at room temperature.