Made with cooked chicken, pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese, this gooey and cheesy casserole is the perfect keto solution to your pizza cravings.
It's truly easy to make, especially if you use pre-cooked chicken. It's ready in about 30 minutes!
I love pizza. 🍕 Who doesn't? It's culinary perfection. The combination of the crust, sauce, cheese and toppings is a masterpiece.
That's why, when I transitioned to a low-carb diet, giving up pizza was out of the question. I simply found great-tasting substitutes such as cauliflower pizza, coconut flour pizza, and almond flour pizza.
This tasty casserole is another way to enjoy all the wonderful pizza flavors without consuming too many carbs.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this keto pizza casserole. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Chicken breasts: Cooked and either shredded or diced. I almost always bake chicken breasts, but you can cook them any way you like. You can also use rotisserie chicken.
- Pepperoni: I mix it into the casserole and I also use it to top the casserole.
- Pizza sauce: I prefer a sugar-free sauce such as Rao's.
- Spices: I like to use garlic powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Cheese: I use shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan. Some of the cheese gets mixed into the casserole and some of it is sprinkled on top.
Making this keto pizza casserole is SO EASY. The detailed instructions are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of the steps:
- You start by mixing together the shredded chicken, diced pepperoni, pizza sauce, spices, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Next, transfer the mixture to a lightly greased baking dish and top it with more cheese and pepperoni (or with your choice of toppings).
- Bake the casserole for about 15 minutes in a 400°F oven, until it's heated through and the cheese is melted. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving it.
It's fine to use rotisserie chicken in this recipe. Both the white meat and the dark meat will work and you can either shred or dice the meat.
But do make sure to completely remove the skin. While chicken skin is delicious, its texture won't work in a casserole.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, absolutely! Not everyone is a fan of cauliflower. That's why I use chicken breast in this recipe.
It makes a great basis for the casserole, and its flavor is unassuming - almost bland - so it allows the pizza flavors to shine through.
Yes! I do it all the time. It's true that starch is a classic component of traditional casseroles.
But the keto diet is decidedly nontraditional, and we adjust recipes to fit our needs. This works just fine - you won't miss the starch.
Yes. I like to divide it into individual portions, then freeze them in freezer-safe containers. They can stay in the freezer for up to three months.
The best way to vary this recipe is to use different toppings. So use whatever you like! Good options include sauteed peppers, olives, sauteed mushrooms, and thinly sliced fully cooked Italian sausage.
You can also try different cheeses. For example, shredded fontina makes a good alternative to shredded mozzarella.
Sometimes I like to sprinkle the casserole with dried parsley or oregano and some more red pepper flakes when I pull it out of the oven. This is purely for garnish, but it does look pretty!
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave, covered, on 50% power.
As mentioned above, you can also freeze individual portions for up to three months.
👩🏻🍳 I aim to publish a new recipe once or twice a month. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe today! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Keto Pizza Casserole
- 3 large chicken breasts cooked; shredded or diced (about 30 ounces raw, 22 ounces cooked)
- 1 oz pepperoni diced (about 15 slices)
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce (I use Rao’s pizza sauce)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan dry-grated
- ¾ cup mozzarella shredded (3 ounces)
- 1 ½ oz pepperoni (about 20 slices)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded chicken, diced pepperoni, pizza sauce, garlic powder, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, 1 cup of mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining ¾ cup of mozzarella cheese and the pepperoni slices.
- Bake until the casserole is heated through and the cheese is melted, for about 15 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- It's fine to use rotisserie chicken in this recipe. Both the white and dark meat will work, and you can either shred or dice the meat. But do make sure to completely remove the skin. Its texture won't work in a casserole.
- Sometimes, when I pull it out of the oven, I like to sprinkle the casserole with dried parsley or oregano and some more red pepper flakes. This is purely for garnish, but it does look pretty!
- You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Reheat them in the microwave, covered, at 50% power. You can also freeze individual portions for up to three months.