A fun variation on sauteed green beans, these spicy green beans are as delicious as a spicy, salty snack – and it’s so easy to make them.
I make green beans recipes quite often because we all like them (even the picky eater!), so I try to vary the recipes I make. This recipe for spicy green beans is a lovely variation on basic sauteed green beans.
Although I must admit that with all these variations, my favorite green beans recipe is the simplest – boiled green beans.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish:
- Fresh green beans
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
How to make spicy green beans
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- I lightly steam the beans in the microwave. I steam them just until they’re no longer raw.
- After steaming the green beans, I briefly saute them in seasoned olive oil until they are tender-crisp.
Yum! These spicy green beans taste like a salty, spicy snack.
Are green beans healthy?
I believe they are. Green beans are very nutritious. They are especially high in vitamins A and C and in manganese. And they have lots of fiber.
Paleo purists might argue that they’re legumes and so they must be unhealthy. But green beans have low amounts of toxins compared with mature legumes, and many paleo followers choose to eat them.
How to serve spicy green beans
They are the perfect side dish to any meat or fish. They go particularly well with these spicy meatballs. I also like to serve them alongside a couple of fried eggs for a light, meatless dinner.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power. I admit to sometimes snacking on them cold, straight from the fridge! They’re surprisingly delicious this way.
Spicy Green Beans
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the green beans in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain into a colander.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne. Add the green beans and toss to coat.
- Heat a very large saute pan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the green beans, using a spatula to scrape every last bit of the yummy seasoned oil off the bowl and into the pan. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Serve the spicy green beans immediately.