A fun variation on just sauteing them, these spicy green beans are as delicious as a spicy, salty snack – and it’s so easy to make them.
I make green beans recipes quite often because they are tasty and healthy and we all like them (even the picky eater!), so I try to vary the recipes I make. This recipe for spicy green beans is a lovely variation on basic sauteed green beans.
Although I must admit that with all these variations, my favorite way to make them is the simplest – boiled green beans.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this tasty side dish (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
- Fresh green beans.
- Olive oil: This is a delicious and healthy oil. But if you’re unsure about cooking with it, you can use avocado oil instead.
- Kosher salt: If using fine salt, reduce the amount you use.
- Spices: Garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Spices are delicious and healthy, but make sure they are fresh. A stale spice can easily ruin a dish!
How to make spicy green beans
Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- I lightly steam the beans in the microwave. I steam them just until they’re no longer raw.
- After steaming, I briefly saute them in seasoned olive oil until they are tender-crisp.
How to serve spicy green beans
They are the perfect side dish to any meat or fish. They go particularly well with these spicy meatballs. I also like to serve them alongside a couple of fried eggs for a light, meatless dinner.
What about leftovers?
Leftovers keep well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Gently reheat them in the microwave on 50% power.
I admit to sometimes snacking on them cold, straight from the fridge! They’re surprisingly delicious this way.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Spicy Green Beans
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the green beans in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain into a colander.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne. Add the green beans and toss to coat.
- Heat a very large saute pan over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the green beans, using a spatula to scrape every last bit of the yummy seasoned oil off the bowl and into the pan. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Serve the spicy green beans immediately.