A simple recipe for a basic, tasty and keto chicken salad. A lunch staple, I serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce, or on low-carb bread.
One of my favorite uses for cooked chicken is this tasty keto chicken salad. I make it often for lunch, and I also make it when we go on a picnic. It’s wonderfully flavorful, and it keeps well in the fridge for several days.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty salad. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
Cooked chicken: I use diced cooked chicken breast. Rotisserie chicken works too – just make sure to remove the skin.
Diced red onion: White or yellow onions would be a bit too sharp, but green onions are a good alternative.
Chopped cilantro: If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can use parsley instead.
Crumbled feta cheese: I’m lazy so I buy it crumbled. But it’s not difficult to crumble (or dice) it yourself.
Mayonnaise: I prefer avocado oil mayonnaise. Sir Kensington’s is a good brand.
Dijon mustard: This traditional French mustard is creamier, thicker, and less vinegary than yellow mustard.
Fresh lemon juice: Freshly squeezed has the best flavor.
Minced garlic: Mince it yourself, or use the stuff that comes in a jar. Both work.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the salad could end up too salty.
How to make keto chicken salad
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Add the chicken, red onion, cilantro and feta to a medium bowl. Gently mix them together.
2. Whisk the remaining ingredients to make a tasty dressing.
3. Mix the dressing into the salad. That’s it! I told you it was easy!
You can replace the mayonnaise with sour cream if you prefer. Whole milk Greek yogurt is also good in this recipe, but not as good as mayonnaise or sour cream. It’s a bit too tangy, I think. You can also use mashed avocado (or guacamole) and make delicious avocado chicken salad.
Optional additions to this salad
This is obviously a basic recipe, and you should feel free to add to it as you like. Celery is obvious – about 1/4 cup chopped adds a nice crunch. Other welcome additions are 1/2 avocado, cubed, for flavor and creaminess, and/or a grated or diced hard-boiled egg.
How to serve keto chicken salad
A tasty lunch staple, I usually serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce. It’s also very good on 90-second bread, on a low carb English muffin, or in a lettuce sandwich. Of course, there’s no law that says you can’t simply serve it on a plate and eat with a knife and fork!
How long can I keep leftovers?
You can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Give them a gentle stir before serving them.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
keto Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced (10 oz)*
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken breast cubes, red onion, cilantro and feta.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing on the chicken salad and mix well to combine. Serve immediately, or chill for an hour to allow flavors to meld.