A simple recipe for a basic, tasty and healthy chicken salad. A lunch staple, I serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce, or on low carb bread.
I make this healthy chicken salad often. It’s one of my favorite lunches, and I also make it when we go on a picnic. It makes great use of leftover baked chicken breast.
The ingredients you’ll need
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty salad. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need:
- Cooked chicken breast, diced
- Diced red onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Avocado oil mayonnaise
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh lemon juice
- Minced garlic
- Kosher salt and black pepper
How to make a healthy chicken salad
It’s so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
- Add the chicken, red onion, cilantro and feta to a medium bowl.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients to make a tasty dressing.
- Mix the dressing into the salad.
Avocado oil mayonnaise is healthier
Avocado oil mayo is a healthy alternative to mayonnaise that is based on refined, bleached, and deodorized oils (RBD oils).
It does contain a small amount of sugar, but when used occasionally, I consider it a healthy option.
My favorite brand is Sir Kensington’s. I get it at Whole Foods, and it’s also available at Walmart.
when you make this healthy chicken salad, you can also replace the mayonnaise with sour cream if you prefer.
Whole milk Greek yogurt is also good in this recipe, but not as good as mayonnaise or sour cream. It’s a bit too tangy, I think. You can also use mashed avocado (or guacamole) and make delicious avocado chicken salad.
Optional additions to this salad
This is obviously a basic recipe, and you should feel free to add to it as you like.
Celery is obvious – about 1/4 cup chopped. Other welcome additions are 1/2 avocado, cubed, and/or a grated hard-boiled egg.
How to serve this healthy chicken salad
How long can I keep leftovers?
You can keep them in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days. Give them a gentle stir before serving them.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new healthy recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced (10 oz)*
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken breast cubes, red onion, cilantro and feta.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing on the chicken salad and mix well to combine. Serve immediately, or chill for an hour to allow flavors to meld.