A simple recipe for a basic, tasty and healthy chicken salad. A lunch staple, I serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce, or on low carb microwave bread.
A simple, easy recipe for healthy chicken salad. I make it often. It’s one of my favorite lunches, and I also make it when we go on a picnic.
How to make healthy chicken salad
This simple yet delicious salad contains baked chicken breast, cilantro, and feta. The dressing is made with avocado oil mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions.
Avocado oil mayonnaise is healthier
Avocado oil mayo is a healthy alternative to mayo based on omega-6-rich vegetable oils. It does contain a small amount of sugar, but when used occasionally, I consider it a healthy option. My favorite brand is Sir Kensington’s. I get it at Whole Foods, and it’s also available at Walmart.
when you make this healthy chicken salad, you can replace the mayonnaise with sour cream if you prefer. Whole milk Greek yogurt is also good in this healthy chicken salad, but not as good as mayonnaise or sour cream. It’s a bit too tangy, I think. You can also use mashed avocado (or guacamole) and make delicious avocado chicken salad.
Optional additions to this healthy chicken salad
This is obviously a basic recipe, and you should feel free to add to it as you like. Celery is obvious – about 1/4 cup chopped. Other welcome additions are 1/2 avocado, cubed, and/or a grated hard-boiled egg.
How to serve healthy chicken salad
How long can I keep this healthy chicken salad?
You can keep it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days.
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced (10 oz)*
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix the chicken breast cubes, red onion, cilantro and feta.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing on the chicken salad and mix well to combine. Serve immediately, or chill for an hour to allow flavors to meld.