All the familiar pizza flavors combine in this delicious pizza chicken to create a tasty, keto and gluten-free pizza-like experience.
I always have chicken breasts in the fridge. And if not in the fridge, then I have them in my freezer. Can you relate? It's definitely not the tastiest meat one can eat. It's kinda boring and non-exciting. But it's a good source of protein, it's affordable, and it's EASY.
Pizza chicken is a great way to elevate the basic, boring-yet-reliable chicken breast into a fun, delicious dish that everyone likes - the adults and the kids.
Making chicken breast taste better!
This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It's so easy to put together and it's ready in just 30 minutes. Plus, it's a wonderful way to enjoy pizza flavors without the extra carbs.
When I serve this dish, the Picky Eater actually asks for seconds! She very rarely does. So if you needed any proof that this recipe will be a hit with the kids - well now you have it! 😀
The ingredients you'll need
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty chicken recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
Olive oil cooking spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you'd rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: Garlic powder and dried oregano. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Marinara sauce: Try to use a brand with no added sugar such as Rao's.
Cheese: I use shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. Provolone is also good.
Toppings: Thinly sliced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (omit if you'd rather avoid processed meats), bell pepper, and olives.
How to make pizza chicken
It's easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Your first step is to lightly pound the chicken breasts to slightly flatten them.
2. Now, spray a baking dish with oil and place the chicken breasts in the dish. Lightly spray them with oil. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F.
3. Remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts to the other side. Top them with marinara sauce, cheese, and toppings such as pepperoni, bell peppers, and olives.
4. Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 10 more minutes.
What to serve with pizza chicken
Since I make this dish in a 450°F oven, I like to serve it with vegetables that I can roast in the same oven. So I often serve it with one of the following:
What about leftovers?
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them very gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
More tasty things to do with chicken breast
I make chicken breast often, especially on weeknights. So I always look for variations.
Bacon-wrapped chicken breast is always a hit, as is this simple but reliable recipe for how to bake chicken breast. And this easy recipe for chicken casserole is another good one that everyone around here enjoys.
Never miss a recipe!
I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Want the new recipes in your inbox? Subscribe!
Pizza Chicken Recipe
- 4 (6oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons marinara sauce, no added sugar
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 oz thinly sliced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni
- ½ bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pitted olives, halved
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly pound the chicken breasts to slightly flatten them.
- Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray and place the chicken breasts in the dish, flat side up. Lightly spray the chicken breasts with olive oil spray, or brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts to the other side. Top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce, ¼ cup shredded mozzarella, 2 slices of chorizo or pepperoni, 2 slices of pepper and a few olives.
- Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted, about 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.