All the familiar pizza flavors combine in this delicious pizza chicken to create a healthy, tasty, keto and gluten-free pizza-like experience.
Pizza chicken is such a great way to elevate the basic, boring-yet-reliable chicken breast into a fun, delicious, exciting dish.
I make chicken breast often, especially on weeknights. So I always look for variations. Bacon wrapped chicken breast is always a hit, as is this simple but reliable recipe for how to bake chicken breast. This recipe for chicken casserole is another good one. And pizza chicken is another great option that everyone enjoys.
This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It’s so easy to put together and it’s ready in just 30 minutes. Plus, it’s a wonderful way to enjoy pizza flavors without the extra carbs.
When I serve this dish, the Picky Eater actually asks for seconds! She very rarely does. So if you needed any proof that pizza chicken will be a hit with the kids – well now you have it!
What to serve with pizza chicken
Since I make this dish in a 450°F oven, I like to serve it with vegetables that I can roast in the same oven. So I often serve it with roasted broccoli, with roasted green beans, or with roasted peppers.
Is this a healthy recipe?
As for the pepperoni, while it’s not ideal, I use very little of it here – just as a condiment to flavor the dish. You can obviously omit it from this pizza chicken recipe if you prefer. It will still taste great.
What about leftovers?
You can keep leftover pizza chicken in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. Reheat the leftovers very gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
Pizza Chicken Recipe
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 (6oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons marinara sauce, no added sugar
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4oz)
- 1 oz thinly sliced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni
- 1/2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted olives, halved
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly pound the chicken breasts to slightly flatten them.
- Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray and place the chicken breasts in the dish, flat side up. Lightly spray the chicken breasts with olive oil spray, or brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts to the other side. Top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce, 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, 2 slices of chorizo or pepperoni, 2 slices of pepper and a few olives.
- Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted, about 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.