All the familiar pizza flavors combine in this delicious recipe to create a tasty, keto and gluten-free pizza-like experience.
It's as easy as can be: partially bake chicken breasts, add pizza toppings, then finish baking until the chicken is cooked through. Easy and delicious!
I always have chicken breasts in the fridge. And if not in the fridge, then I have them in my freezer. Can you relate? It's definitely not the most exciting food item one can eat. But it's accessible, affordable, and EASY.
Pizza chicken is a great way to elevate the basic, boring-yet-reliable chicken breast into a fun, delicious dish that everyone likes - the adults and the kids.
This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It's so easy to put together and it's ready in just 40 minutes. Plus, it's a wonderful way to enjoy pizza flavors without a starchy crust.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty chicken recipe. The exact measurements are included in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
Olive oil cooking spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you'd rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
Kosher salt and black pepper: If using fine salt, you should reduce the amount you use, or the dish could end up too salty.
Spices: Garlic powder and dried oregano. Make sure they are fresh! A stale spice can easily ruin a dish.
Pizza sauce: Try to use a brand with no added sugar such as Rao's.
Cheese: I use shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. Provolone is also good.
Toppings: I like to use pepperoni and olives. You can use whatever you like!
Making pizza chicken is easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
You start by placing the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish. Lightly spray them with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Bake them for 15 minutes at 450°F.
Next, remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts. Top them with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 15 more minutes.
- When buying the chicken breasts, pick ones that weigh no more than 8 ounces each. So if you buy them in trays, pick the trays that weigh 1 lb. rather than those that weigh 1.5 lb. The latter ones are too big for this recipe.
- The basil is really important. It adds amazing flavor and really elevates this dish. I would go as far as saying that if you don't have fresh basil on hand, you shouldn't make this recipe.
Frequently asked questions
You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. But I feel that chicken breast does work better.
No. There's no need to brown the chicken. Simply bake it in two stages, one without the toppings and then add the toppings and bake until cooked through.
Definitely bake it uncovered. You want the dish to bake and brown in the hot oven, not to steam.
Variations and substitutions
I love this recipe as is and almost always make it as written. But in case you'd like to vary the basic recipe, here are a few ideas for you:
- Use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. You will likely need to bake them for a shorter time. Try 10 minutes per side, but always use an instant-read thermometer to make sure they are cooked through. Aim for 165ºF.
- Use shredded provolone instead of mozzarella. You can also add 2 tablespoons of shredded parmesan for extra flavor.
- Use different toppings such as mushrooms or sliced bell peppers.
Since I bake this dish in a 450°F oven, I like to serve it with vegetables that I can roast in the same oven. So I often serve it with one of the following:
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them very gently, in the microwave on 50% power.
👩🏻🍳 I typically publish a new or an updated recipe once a week. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Pizza Chicken Recipe
- 4 (8 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup pizza sauce no added sugar (I use Rao's)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 oz pepperoni (16 slices)
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking dish with olive oil spray. I use a 10 X 7-inch ceramic baking dish from Sur La Table.
- Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish, flat side up. Lightly spray them with olive oil. Sprinkle them with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts. At this point, you can lightly spray them with more oil and sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper, but it’s optional. Top the chicken evenly with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni, and olives.
- Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 15 more minutes. Garnish with chopped basil and serve.