All the familiar flavors combine in this delicious pizza chicken recipe to create a tasty, keto, and gluten-free pizza-like experience.
It's as easy as can be: partially bake chicken breasts, add pizza toppings, then finish baking until the chicken is cooked through. Easy and delicious!
I always have chicken breasts in the fridge. And if not in the fridge, then I have them in my freezer. Can you relate? It's not the most exciting food item one can eat. But it's accessible, affordable, and EASY.
Pizza chicken is a great way to elevate the basic chicken breast into a fun, delicious dish that everyone likes - the adults and the kids.
This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It's so easy to put together and it's ready in just 40 minutes. Much like peppers pizza or spaghetti squash boats, it's a wonderful way to enjoy pizza flavors without a starchy crust.
Here's an overview of what you'll need to make this recipe. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
- Olive oil cooking spray: I love cooking with this delicious oil. But if you'd rather use an oil with a higher smoke point, you can use avocado oil instead.
- To season: I use kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano.
- Pizza sauce: I always try to use a brand with no added sugar.
- Cheese: I use shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. Provolone is also good.
- Toppings: I like to use pepperoni and olives. You can use whatever you like!
- You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. You will need to bake them for a shorter time. Try 10 minutes per side, but always use an instant-read thermometer to make sure they are cooked through. Aim for 165ºF.
- I like to use shredded provolone instead of mozzarella. You can also add 2 tablespoons of shredded parmesan for extra flavor.
- Use different toppings such as mushrooms or sliced bell peppers.
Pizza Chicken Instructions
Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps for making this recipe:
You start by placing the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish. Lightly spray them with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Bake them for 15 minutes at 450°F.
Next, remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts. Top them with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 15 more minutes.
- When picking chicken breasts to use in this recipe, try to pick ones that weigh no more than 8 ounces each. So if you buy them in trays, pick the trays that weigh 1 lb. rather than those that weigh 1.5 lb. The latter ones are too big for this recipe.
- The basil is really important. It adds amazing flavor and really elevates this dish. I would go as far as saying that if you don't have fresh basil on hand, you shouldn't make this recipe.
You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. But chicken breast does work better to make individual pizza portions. The thighs are small and will make more of a casserole.
Chicken thighs will also need to spend less time in the oven - a total of about 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
No. There's no need to brown the chicken. Simply bake it in two stages, one without the toppings and then add the toppings and bake until cooked through.
Definitely bake it uncovered. You want the dish to bake and brown in the hot oven, not to steam.
Since I bake this pizza in a 450°F oven, I like to serve it with vegetables that I can roast in the same oven. So I often serve it with one of the following:
You can keep the leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. Reheat them very gently, in the microwave at 50% power.
More Chicken Recipes
👩🏻🍳 I publish a new or updated recipe every month. Want these recipes in your inbox? Subscribe today! You can unsubscribe at any time.
Pizza Chicken Recipe
- 4 (8 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup pizza sauce no added sugar (I use Rao's)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded part-skim (4 oz)
- 1 oz pepperoni (16 slices)
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Spray a rimmed baking dish with olive oil spray. I use a 10 X 7-inch ceramic baking dish from Sur La Table.
- Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish, flat side up. Lightly spray them with olive oil. Sprinkle them with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Turn the chicken breasts. At this point, you can lightly spray them with more oil and sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper, but it’s optional. Top the chicken evenly with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni, and olives.
- Return the baking dish to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through (its internal temperature should reach 165ºF) and the cheese is melted, about 15 more minutes. Garnish with chopped basil and serve.